RCD help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I put in a new CU 6 circuits but 2 of them had to be seperate from the rcd. So i turned my board into a split board but with the same neutral bar, i have a socket circuit on the main switch and one on the rcd side. Whenever i plug anything in the RCD trips, when i tested the cables the reading were 999Mohms. Will using the same neutral bar cause the rcd to trip?

Sponsored Links
If you have a split board with a common neutral busbar, it will trip.

You need each RCD to have its own neutral bar.

Or, better still, fit RCBOs.

you need to ensure your socket circuit neutral wires return to the correct neutral bar.
One bar for RCD, one for non RCD

What 2 circuits are not RCD protected? lights and sockets or ?

If still stuck, take a picture and I'm sure someone will spot the fault

Sponsored Links
Will using the same neutral bar cause the rcd to trip?

Of course it will, you obviously fail to understand how and RCD i designed to work...

They trip on the difference they sense between the current passing through them, comparing the L to the N current. Any difference greater than the designed trip current, causes them to trip, based upon the current finding an alternative route to earth - possibly via you or your family.

In your case, the alternative route is via a commoned neutral bar.

I think it is a troll, no one is that daft.

It is amazing how ignorant ( lack of knowledge, not stupidity ) some people can be when it comes to DIY electrical work.

They see a person putting wires into holes ( terminals ) and tightening the screw without realising that these are not random connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back