RCD keeps tripping

My guess is a N-E short on an RCD protected circuit on a TN-S system.
Like has been said, should be picked up by IR test results.

Sponsored Links
Right to end this saga, I have found that the fault was in a 1 gang socket, where I had crimped the earth sheath producing a break in the earth continuity, not a NE FAULT as so many had predicted.

The full test and inspection will be carried out today.

The idea of coming on here was to be given some advice (My knowledge of RCD faults was what was lacking.) Not to have everyone pour scorn on the fact that as I don't do this for a living I must therefore be a total FW!

I am aware of the requirements re certification, but believe that by having an independant test i.e. four eyes being better than two. The end result would be an installation completely free of bias.

If you don't do it for a living how are you qualified to do so.
Did someone touch on a nerve................................. ;)

2360 parts 1 and 2 as opposed to picking up a DIY mag and after reading it thinking oh what the hell lets have a go it can't be that difficult

Sponsored Links
lee p said:
Right to end this saga, I have found that the fault was in a 1 gang socket, where I had crimped the earth sheath producing a break in the earth continuity, not a NE FAULT as so many had predicted.

a break in the earth continuty will REDUCE the chance of a RCD tripping.

Sorry but this inspection will require a close scrutinty and FULL test of the installation becasue I fear you still have the original fault (Neutral to Earth) in the installation.

The idea of coming on here was to be given some advice (My knowledge of RCD faults was what was lacking.)

Being pernicity but the fault is an installation fault that the RCD is very correctly detecting and reacting to to help ensure safety in the building.

Not to have everyone pour scorn on the fact that as I don't do this for a living I must therefore be a total FW!

That was bit over the top. People here volunteer help out their own free time and no one was scornful about you.

Bernard,

I wasn't necessarily directing this at you.

The tests today will reveal how competent an installation it is.

Can you explain how then that after identifying the fault as being in the kitchen ring and then breaking the circuit down piece meal and finding the socket with a poor earth (pi**poor) termination admittedly! That once re- terminated the RCD is now holding in fine.

a broken earth would NOT cause an rcd to trip

you have obvously cleared a faut whaile you were removing and replacing socket fronts etc to try and locat the fault..

my guess is that you had clipped a neutral with the screw when replacing a socket etc..

Thats just it though, I separated the ring to form 2 radials worked out which of the radials was causing the RCD trip then began working my way through it . There were no bad terminations or crimped conductors other that the one poor earth. When rectified it has cleared the RCD tripping continuously.

Unless he means the earth conductor was totally out of the earth terminal and making contact with the neutral connections... in which case I would say you shouldn't be removing that much insulation from the conductors to allow that to happen, and that should have been picked up with a basic continuity test before you energised.

You were sleeving the earth conductors weren't you?

lee p said:
Bernard, Can you explain how then that after identifying the fault as being in the kitchen ring and then breaking the circuit down piece meal and finding the socket with a poor earth (pi**poor) termination admittedly! That once re- terminated the RCD is now holding in fine.

When you were checking sockets before finding the broken earth conductor you DISTURBED the neutral to earth fault which woould have been in one of the sockets you inspected.

One frequent cause of dis-appearing earth-neutral faults is one of the socket fixing screws pressing into the neutral conductor and cutting through the insulation. When the socket is inspected the wire gets moved a bit and when the face is screwed back the screw misses the wire.

Yes Davy sleeving all the way doubled terminations where applicable and all in the right terminals. Thats what I am trying to say, how by rectifying a poor earth termination has the problem been fixed ?

The old man was with me last night he has fluke test equipment and has been in the game man and boy for 50 years and in all that time he said he has never seen a problem with an RCD tripping continuously, generated by a poor earth termination.

that's what we're telling you..

unless you re-energised and tested the rcd after removing and re-fitting every single socket, then at some point you cleared the fault during your explorations..

finding the dodgy earth connection is just a bonus.. and should have been found out in the first place during the continuity test

Perhaps I am too practically minded but my simple approach would be to dis all the neutrals and add them one by one until the last caused the trip!

Genuine earth trips I would find using my earth leakage clamp meter.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back