RCD tripping??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if a neutral of a supply for a circut is connected into the wrong neutral bar for that circuit, would it trip, everytime something was plugged into, as this is happening to me, would this problem be sorted if i was to put the neutral into the other neutral for that rcd side of the board or does it matter?

Sponsored Links
yes it does matter, the neutral is by-passing the rcd if connected to the wrong side and it is designed to register a difference between line and neutral currents

ah right so has your saying if it is connected into the opposite neutral bar, would it trip the rcd if something was plugged into a socket before switching it on,

If you have had some work done has this been the start of the tripping?
If so then maybe, just maybe, it has been put in the wrong neutral bar to begin with.
Wait to see what more experienced posters say though before moving it.

Sponsored Links
Is the neutral in the wrong 'bar? If so, then put it in the right one!

ye there has been work done, and there was no tripping before, but what i am asking is, if the neutral is connected in the opposite neutral bar, and somebody plugged something into the socket, would it trip the rcd cause that is what is happening, could somebody explain what may be wrong?

See your other post!

If the neutral of an RCD protected circuit is attached to the wrong 'bar, then the RCD will sense an imbalance, as the live and neutral are not being monitored by that RCD.

here to help but you are sayinga lot of "ifs". What "is" happening? have you swapped the neutral over?. What work has been done?

ah right i think i understand what you mean the rcd is constantly monitoring the live and neutral the whole time and when there is leakage to earth will this trip the rcd is that right? isnt this the same as live to earth fault ye?? then would it not trip the mcb then?

i havent swapped the neutral over yet and the only work that has been done is a ring main wired into the board thats it, but i just wanting to know could it be that the neutral is connected into the wrong neutral bar?

If connected to correct side and there is no load at all on the circuit and it does not trip, but if you plug in something and it trips, then maybe a faulty appliance, or a neutral to earth fault on wiring.

An NE short would not be detected by an MCB.

This is why there are so many problems when consumer units are changed over, as NE faults may be present in the circuits that only become apparent when fitting an RCD...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back