RCD tripping??

Sponsored Links
sorry secure, in answering the previous post , explaining that an rcd would only trip when there was a load applied to the circuit. neutral becomes active and a leakages to earth happens with a NE fault. I agree that the use of RCD's is causing inherent problems to be exposed and the use of dual RCD's is causing borrowed neutral posts.

an RCD will detect a line to earth fault, or a neutral to earth fault when the circuit is loaded. it will not detect a line to neutral fault "short" as an RCD only detects an imbalance between live conductors and a short between line and neutral is dealt with by the MCB

Sponsored Links
I'm sure Lectrician wouldn't mind if I quoted him from another post:

if it is a n-e fault it chould be rectified regardless.

n-e fault will trip rcd when you have load on circuit or any other circuit fed via that rcd, but will not trip an mcb.

in TNCS - PME, it will not cause immediate danger, but should be sorted.

with TNS earthing, with increasing load, you will have diverted neutral currents using your earth (via the fault), the more load, the more current will flow through the fault, on a ring cct you have 2x1.5mm/sq earth to carry almost half the current!! and if the neutral broke somewhere, it would carry all the current!! - i have seen several burnt out lighting circuits!!!!!!!

an RCD only detects an imbalance between live conductors and earth

From the link I posted:

How do the RCDs work?
According to the principle"what goes in must come out"(or, more technically, the sum of all the currents meeting in any point in a circuit must be zero, otherwise the circuit will be broken - the Node Law), the residual current device operates by continually comparing the current flow both in the Active(the "IN" part, the Supply) and Neutral(the "OUT" part, the Return) conductors of the electrical circuit. If the current flow becomes unbalanced(there are some leakages detected), it means that some of the current in the Active conductor is not returning back through the Neutral conductor and is leaking to the earth - this triggers the device, which automatically closes the circuit.

Most RCD's do not have an earth connection*, therefore cannot detect an imbalance between live conductors and earth. They detect only an imbalance between live & neutral.

*Those that do have it, have a functional earth for "loss of neutral" protection.

from the direct and or insinuated "jist" of my post on this subject , secure, you have misqouted me. Pleae read back and digest. I was hoping to help the OP.

i did edit my post to be correct, but the omission of "earth and" is my mistake. Hope you all understand my error. see other posts. Typo.

don't you mean "inclusion of" not "omission of".. since you've removed the bit you added in error?

indeed coljack, but i i'm hopeful that you and all dont make a mountain out of a small "inlclusion" when the thrust of what i was saying was educatutional to the op :)

No offence, I wasn't meaning to have a go, just to try & make it clear to the OP.

And kindly leave your thrust out of it! ;)

kevin1234 in another post wrote said:
well i have just qualified as an electrician,but havent had enough experience in domestic wiring so thats why im asking so any help please
No disrespect meant Kevin but this is from your post back in December. You might need to get your head back in the books if you're still unsure in the difference between the functions of an MCB/RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back