dual rcd settup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all oat there.
I have an existing 12way split load wylex board.
I have added an additional 63amp rcd to give total rcd protection.
Problem................whenever I put any kind of load onto any of the circuits protected by the new rcd, it trips out.
Could this be a probelm with the way I have configured the neutrals to and from each rcd?
The original rcd is giving no probs.
I took a neutral from the connection on the user side of the DP incomer to the first rcd then piggy backed onto the old rcd using a split load kit and left the neutral onto the main neutral bar from the incomer in place.
The output neutrals were then taken to each seperate neutral bar.

One of the circuits (kitchen sockets) was on the original rcd and has now been moved onto the new rcd. There was no tripping caused by this one when it was connected to the origianal rcd.

I am sure the answer to this is staring me in the face.

Many thanks hope you can help.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You say you left the main neutral bar on the neutral from the incomer - if there are circuits protected by the new RCD going on to that neutral bar it won't work...

Other things to check if this isn't the case is are all circuits on the correct neutral bar, and if you're still having issues, the most likely thing is a borrowed neutral (where someones used a neutral from one circuit to power another).

A picture of the inside of your CU would be useful, it might show up anything obvious...

Well spotted rebuke, the neutral from the DP isolator should only go to the RCDs and not to the neutral bar. From the load side of the RCD to their respective neutral bars.
PS make sure you moved the neutrals for the kitchen circuit over to the other neutral bar.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks "reduke". As soon as I removed the neutral from the incomer which went to the original main neutral bus all was ok. What a shame I was too blind to notice. Had a feeling it was something obvious.
Many thanks my man.

"Oh! those are my shoes"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back