something wierd....outside shead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
heya

i got a little d/b out in my shed power from the main board within a house.

its connected on the rcd side of the main board

theres poer to my shed but when i turn the light on or put soemthing into the socket ittrips the rcd in the main house.

could it be from..

1) put neutral in wrong neutral bar of main board..

2) when terminating the armoured to the main board i used a terminal box, i cut the earth and put a lug on it so i could earth the terminal box and then a brougth a earth link to the board..using a nut and bolt

3) neutral and live incomers into the shed are in the wrong place.

Sponsored Links
If it trips the RCD rather than the MCB then there is a fault to earth on the cabling to or in the shed.

Neutral does need to be connected on the RCD neutral bar.

If it's not a split load CU in the shed then polarity would not cause the RCD to trip BUT if you are unsure as to whether this is the case I would advise calling a qualified electrician IMMEDIATELY to check the installation.

its a split laod c/u in the house and a normal 2 way mini boar din the shed.

im guessing the earthing of the terminal box might have cause the problem of earth leakage..might have not lugged the earth properly..

plus i think i ahve the neutral on the other neutral and not on the neutral side..

but with having hte neutral not on the rcd sidewould it causeit to trip?

mini2 said:
its a split laod c/u in the house and a normal 2 way mini boar din the shed.

im guessing the earthing of the terminal box might have cause the problem of earth leakage..might have not lugged the earth properly..

plus i think i ahve the neutral on the other neutral and not on the neutral side..

but with having hte neutral not on the rcd sidewould it causeit to trip?

1: there is a fault between live and earht or neutral and earth. it doesnt necessaraly mean the earth is faulty
2:what?

3: yes, if the neutral was on the RCD and the phase on the non-RCD or vice versa

Sponsored Links
i know what i have done..

i have put the neutral on the wrong bar by pure stupidness..

it aint on the rcd neutral bar.

mini

mini2 said:
i know what i have done..

i have put the neutral on the wrong bar by pure stupidness..
mini2 said:
I have just finished wirein my brothers flat and damn im good. I think it come down to confidence really but damn i could do this day in day out with my eyes clsoed.
Perhaps you should try doing with your eyes open in future.

Tried doing electrics blindfold once, never again, I had great difficultly telling core cores apart (the which one hurts to hold method gets painful after a while... ), and to top it all, I have a cu mounted upside down... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back