External lights wired off existing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want some lights on the front of the house. Just something like old fashioned bulk heads with Hue colour lamps in.
This is in the back of my house.
7jCD84S.jpg

Would like to know if it would be ok to come off this box?
Main points are,

1, that grey cable goes to a switch and then to 'upstairs lights' on the fuse consumer unit which has a B6 breaker.
2, length of cable would be about 15m long with 4 light units.
3, Is this cable ok to use https://www.screwfix.com/p/time-3183y-black-3-core-1-5mm-flexible-cable-50m-drum/588fj
4, Is it ok to fit the lights about waist height?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1, that grey cable goes to a switch and then to 'upstairs lights' on the fuse consumer unit which has a B6 breaker.
Ok though the way the grey cable is installed isn't great. It's not the correct cable to use outside as it will deteriorate with exposure to UV light and water can currently run off it through that air brick

2, length of cable would be about 15m long with 4 light units.
Ok

3, Is this cable ok to use https://www.screwfix.com/p/time-3183y-black-3-core-1-5mm-flexible-cable-50m-drum/588fj
Fine, buy another stuffing gland too for the Wista

4, Is it ok to fit the lights about waist height?
Well yes but couldn't they get knocked

1, Ok though the way the grey cable is installed isn't great. It's not the correct cable to use outside as it will deteriorate with exposure to UV light and water can currently run off it through that air brick

I know it's how it was when moved in. I shall find some bendy tube to put over it and silicone hole.

2, .
Brill

Fine, buy another stuffing gland too for the Wista
Will do

Well yes but couldn't they get knocked
Where they will be positioned they will be ok. Our front slopes down so thought lower down might be better. Also don't fancy the black wire on show further up the wall.

A quick question. Does the cable I've linked to need to be in conduit or is it fine to clip it to external wall?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back