External pir lights triggering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 2 external pir lanterns that will turn themselves on when operating light switches in close proximity inside the house. One of the lanterns also turned itself on last night when i switched off an under cabinet kitchen light fed from a local socket outlet.
Seems like there is some kind of inteference triggering them but has anyone seen this before and know of a solution?
The 2 lanterns in question are different brands so am doubtful its them at fault
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can the PIRs "see" any of the light from the lights being switched OFF or ON in the house ? This could be a reflection from a wall or a window ? If they can then the change of image would be enough to trigger the PIRs

What lights are you switching ? Lights with Switch Mode Power Supplies ( Electronic Transformers ) can create large voltage spikes on the mains when switched ON or OFF. These travel along the main wiring and can affect PIRs and other sensors ( they shouldn't but low cost desgn and build sensors are affected )

Not really in any areas that see light as such and the inside lights are not transformer fed. Very strange.

Belle427 wrote
We have 2 external pir lanterns that will turn themselves on when operating light switches in close proximity inside the house.
What does that mean?

A "PIR Lantern" should turn on only when its sensor detects a variation in the ambient Infra Red activity.
While "One of the lanterns also turned itself on last night when i switched off an under cabinet kitchen light fed from a local socket outlet.", is that a repeatable event?

If so, it may be caused by what may be described as "pulses" triggering the electronics in the device concerned.

While with proper design to reject external interference that should not happen, if the event is systematically repeatable you may have a problem with the design of the device concerned.
Hopefully, you can ask for a replacement as the device concerned seems to be "not fit for purpose".

Failing that, you could try various sized "Ferrite bead suppressors" on the leads concerned for both the source and object of the interference.

Good Luck !

Sponsored Links
Belle427 wrote

What does that mean?

A "PIR Lantern" should turn on only when its sensor detects a variation in the ambient Infra Red activity.
While "One of the lanterns also turned itself on last night when i switched off an under cabinet kitchen light fed from a local socket outlet.", is that a repeatable event?

If so, it may be caused by what may be described as "pulses" triggering the electronics in the device concerned.

While with proper design to reject external interference that should not happen, if the event is systematically repeatable you may have a problem with the design of the device concerned.
Hopefully, you can ask for a replacement as the device concerned seems to be "not fit for purpose".

Failing that, you could try various sized "Ferrite bead suppressors" on the leads concerned for both the source and object of the interference.

Good Luck !

Hi
It means that mainly when i turn off my living room light using the switch the external pir light turns itself on.
The kitchen socket outlet and light is a repeatable event.
The only real explanation as you suggest is inteference pulses.

... anyone seen this before
Yes, a friend had exactly the same problem - outside light came on when bathroom light (flouro tube/magnetic ballast) was switched on
and know of a solution?
Replace the faulty sensor - faulty as in "designed down to a very low price and manufacturer doesn't GAS about performance", especially in dealing with normal mains noise like things being switched on and off.
i recommend you to use a microwave sensor in an IP65 water proof box. they are 100% reliable no interference no spurious signals that will trigger the lights.
https://www.ledison-led-lights.co.uk/shop/hytronik-ip65-box-for-microwave-sensors/337.htm
we ll see soon the pir technology disappearing from the market.
Not so sure. £25-£30 for just the sensor (and it's box) when people are buying complete lights for less than a tenner. OK, the cheap lights may be "cheap quality", but price is what most people are buying on. People who care will buy them, the vast majority will buy cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back