External render patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I've been asked to price up a small job, patching some damaged render on the outside of my local cafe. I've done interior work for them before which they've been very pleased with (and from which I've had other work) and this is more of a favour I'll be doing for them one evening, probably at cost price.

Now I've only done rendering once before (working with someone else and I hated it) so it's a bit of unfamiliar ground for me and I have a couple of questions.

What mix? 3 plastering sand to 1 cement? Obviously mix dry then add water. What consistency. Last time I rendered it was pretty damn dry - should I do the same or make it a little wetter.

Add some Fairy liquid (to aid mixing) and a splash of waterproofer to the water before mixing?

Should I wet the blockwork and surrounding area first? I assume I just wet the area and don't use PVA?

The damage is around a kitchen extractor outlet and it's going to be tight getting into parts of the gap. Should I render right up to it or leave a few mm gap and silicone it once dry?
Any other tips?

Cheers

Fred.

Sponsored Links
4-1 Mix with some feb, the trick is to float it at the right time , drying out but not moving the render around the wall.Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back