External rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to render some external garden walls that are in a pretty bad state of repair, a large number off the brick faces have 'blown'. If i render over the top of these will they continue to blow and damage the new render? Would using EML add extra strength and solve this problem? The walls are also painted so do i need to prepare them in any way other than PVA beforehand?

Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
If you put cement render on, it WILL come off again.

yes EML will help, but if the walls have lime wash under the paint the render will still lift off, crack and sound hollow even with EML but shouldn`t come off , the best EML to use is riblath alot stronger and won`t bend to easily, the best pva to use with render is SBR this can be added to the mix helps with waterproofing too

Thanks for that, but on closer inspection the wall is too far gone to bother trying to save. I'm going take it down and re-build with block then render.

Thanks anyway

Rob

Sponsored Links
hmmm talking of rendering...

i'm throwing up a garden wall at present (on a brick section at the mo) but i'm going to do a breeze block construction (about 3 high) and then render it (i've found out i'm not very good at laying bricks so once my little section of brick is finished i'm moving onto bigger 'play' blocks that don't require proper pointing) so.....

what sort of mix do i use? and what mixing proportions? i know nothing about this kind a thing so any advice would be greatfully received :O)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back