External Stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to upgrade my heating and hot water to a pressurised system and my plumber says we have 2.5 bar of pressure but flow rate not good enough as we have 15mm pipes. We probably need to upgrade the mains pipe but we can’t find the external stopcock (live in a village) and having spoken with Thames Water they showed no interest in helping. Anyone have a suggestion?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Certainly in the 3 water board area's I work in they will all come out - locate and clear external stop taps.
At end of day it's there stop tap! Maybe try telling then you think you have a leak on your service they normally move quickly to stop water wastage.

I want to upgrade my heating and hot water to a pressurised system and my plumber says we have 2.5 bar of pressure but flow rate not good enough as we have 15mm pipes. We probably need to upgrade the mains pipe but we can’t find the external stopcock (live in a village) and having spoken with Thames Water they showed no interest in helping. Anyone have a suggestion?
e mail the C E O

Ask your neighbours where theirs are and try to work out where your one is.

Andy
Tried that and they don't know. One had Thames Water out and they spent an hour looking and couldn't find. I think telling them I might have a leak is good idea. Our spetic tank man said he can find....for a fee. As pipes are metal they can trace the pipes out and find out where they go.

Tried that and they don't know. One had Thames Water out and they spent an hour looking and couldn't find. I think telling them I might have a leak is good idea. Our spetic tank man said he can find....for a fee. As pipes are metal they can trace the pipes out and find out where they go.

Just say you need to know where it is in case of an emergency...
You have a leak and you're away... Nobody can get access into your house to turn the internal stopcock off!
Or... Your internal stopcock is leaking and needs replacing, which needs access to the external stopcock.

It won't be a priority visit but they will definitely attend and help locate it. It is their asset.
If they can't find it they will end up excavating and fitting a new valve

They'll ask you why you think you have a leak and is it just so you can get a new pipe?!

Do you have a lead pipe from the road? If so, you may be able to get it replaced with plastic if you replace all your internal house pipes to the latest regs. Used to be called a "lead free conversion"or something like that. I had 3 done in renters.
YOU can't connect a pipe to their tapping off the main, they have to do that anyway. They can be helpful, depends on which water co etc.

A competent person can always find a metal pipe - it only takes a C.A.T. and a Genny. Water people often don't have the Genny so they fail. (you can hire them). Plastic is harder!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back