External wall crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a wall at the front of my property with a metal gate hung in it. The pillar supports for the gate are two bricks square, and about 5' high. The local yobbery have shown me a problem that I didn't know existed, so maybe I should thank them(I think not!).
The pillar on which the gate is hinged is cracked across the whole of it's depth at the mortar, about two levels from it's base; with a bit of weight on the gate it can be rocked.
My question is :- How can I re-bond it, or what with? i.e. is it possible to squeeze some gunge in there to create sufficient bond again making it solid?
Sorry if it's not too good a description.

Sponsored Links
i had athat problem with a very low wall, i gave up and flatened it. I did this because to me it was too dangerous to leave up.

i think you will have to rebuild yours :cry:

I did think about the possibility of taking it down, but if there was a way I could avoid it then obviously I would go for that.
I have considered "rolling" it in one direction then placing a spacer in, then "roll" it back to add another spacer, then bung some heavy adhesive in, then releasing the spacers. Sounds odd I know but to avoid a rebuild...
a suggestion as to the type of adhesive might be helpful, anybody?

I had a similar problem on my front gate. The gatepost was about 100 years old, and cracked by some pillock who'd screwed a metal fence into one side of it.

I removed the cracked top half, drilled 4 holes into each section (lined up), inserted steel rods into the holes, filled with mortar, and pushed the two halves back together. Then I made good the crack, painted it, and nobody is any the wiser.

Just don't drill too close to the edge or you might crack the whole thing.

Sponsored Links
My father in laws brick pier was damaged, in a similar manner, by my sister in law. (missed the drive while parking her car :eek: ).

While I was patching up her front wing for her, I used the left over Epoxy resin to reset the pier. It stood for many years, (despite some further knocks).

When it came time to demolish the pier (to make way for a wider drive), it was found to be more solid than the mortar joints.

Might be worth trying some helifix bar in it,you can drill or grind out the course,then resin fix the helibar and re point it afterwards...just another option rather than take it all down.
Cheers
SD Carps

I echo what TexMex has posted.

I had a quite large garden ornament of a lady.

My grandson playing football knocked it over and her head fell off.

I refixed the head at the neck with some epoxy resin, and it has been ok for several years now, and with the weathering, it is not impossible to see the join.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back