Rebuilding Boundry Wall, Is a Support Piller Required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings to all,
Part of my boundary wall has recently collapsed (I think due to a poor mortar mixture) So I'm now contemplating rebuilding it.
The wall was/will be 15' long x 29" High (single row), terminating in a gate pillar two bricks wide x 40" High.

Before I start I've a couple of queries I'd appreciated some advice on

1. Should there have been a supporting pillar build into the wall if so in the middle?
2. Should there be some ties between the pillar and the wall?
3. What remains of the existing wall (Approx 9" High) seems pretty solid (Didn't fall over like the rest of the wall) but there is a layer of mortar stuck to the top of the wall. What's the best method of levelling off the mortar. (The wall was build with the frog on the bottom so there's a mini mountain range in mortar remaining)

Many thanks for reading this far

Rusty Scot

Sponsored Links
walls don't just spontaneously collapse, particularly low walls, regardless of mortar quality.

either the foundations have given way, thus the solution is obvious or an outside influence caused the wall to fall. if the latter, then yes the mortar is duff.

drystone walls can stay up for donkeys years. ;)

why don't you spoil yourself and build a more respectable 225mm (9") wall. single leaf garden walls are naff and look weedy and are rather vulnerable. you won't need pillars either, unless you decide to go higher of course.

Thanks for the reply noseall,
Unfortunately the wall that collapsed is my boundry with street. The remaining walls (approx 45' long) are also single row construction with supporting pillars and are boundry/retaining walls between my garden and both my neighbours. A 9" rebuild is therefore not an option.

Rusty Scot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back