Sleeper wall supports

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst under floorboards I noted parts of sleeper walls had been knocked through (I guess when heating and or electrics were updated. The gap between floor and conncrete base bungalow is built on is circa 450mm. So I want to build back some support pillars. Now if need be I can drag high density blocks though floor, however would the lighter aerated blocks be strong enough.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes, aerated blocks would be strong enough.

But....regular aerated blocks are not suitable for sub-floor use due to the lack of rating.

However on an internal location it is unlikely you will suffer frost but sub floor flooding may be an issue.

Is it necessary to build up sections? If the floor is not springing, why bother?.
Extra voids can only help sub-floor ventilation.

Thanks for replies and sorry for delay in getting back to you - still no interent on latest abode.

Joists need support, in fact one of them is fixed in wall one end then only held up by floorboards. Floor in parts can be seen to have dropped by doors/skirting by circa 15 mm.

No risk of flooding. However noting your concerns I thought of using semi-enginering bricks for first course, followed by DPC and then blocks. As I will be laying blocks on the side (ie 100mm height) after DPC do I need to mortor each layer considering after bricks blocks will only be 3 high?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
One of the purposes of mortar is to help the units (ie blocks, bricks or whatever) bed evenly. If the blocks are stacked dry, it is likely that unevenness on the surfaces might cause them to 'rock' slightly, and this tendency will increase the more layers you have. From a load-bearing point of view, I doubt you would have a problem, but from a stability aspect you might. As the wall will be honeycombed, and therefore not need much mortar, why not do it properly and mortar them down?

Thanks, yes your'e correct. After I posted I thought after going to all the hassle of crawling etc under floor boards why spoil the job for the sake of some mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back