Sleeper Wall to joist gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

My living room floor is quite springy, so I lifted a few floorboards and noticed that the sleeper/supporting wall that runs up the middle of the room appears to have collapsed in places.
Could I pack between the wall and the floor joists with wood or slate to support the joists as long as the wall is still sturdy?

Or is there a better way of fixing this problem?

Sponsored Links
Have you any idea why the sleepers have collapsed? Pretty unusual really unless someone has been careless when running pipes or cables and so on.
Anyway, slip some DPC between the sleepers and the joists and all should be well.
John :)

Maybe you could post pics of the sleeper wall?
Sometimes, un-lintelled access gaps are smashed in sleeper walls.
DPC material is not suitable for packing. It will do nothing for your complaint.
Floor bounce, which is actually joist bounce, can loosen sleeper wall bricks.
Is there a wall plate on top of the sleeper wall?
Do any joists meet over the sleeper wall?

If you go over to the room walls where the other ends of the joists sit, & put your weight on the floor, does the floor sag slightly? Any gaps below the skirting?

the brick work looks staggered I guess for ventilation purpose. It looks disturbed in places where past tradesman have damaged it fitting electrical wires and gas central heating pipes.
I was going to lay DPC ontop of the brickwork then pack the gap with wood or slate to support the joists

Sponsored Links
If the sleeper wall has collapsed in places it needs top be repaired/replaced as necessary not stick some packers in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back