External waste pipe blocked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have a bit of a (big) problem
house is 1865
We have a waste pipe that takes waste from the bathroom ( not loo) and kitchen ( dish washer, washing machine and sink)
It occasionaly got blocked but a prod around with a stick and some caustic soda cleared it.
Recently it blocked again and the same treatment cured it.
After a week it was blocked again.
Chucked a bottle of caustic soda down ( I must confess that I forgot to flush it away afterwards) but no joy.
Problem is that the whole patio is covered with decking with a small hole cut out for the drain.
From memory there is another drain "hole" with a grid on tap along the pipe about 2 m long.

The main waste pipe access is very tight and seems to be like a bottle trap arrangement.
Due to the waste pipes from the kitchen and bathroom you can just about get a hand in through the decking.

I have some rods for pulling cables so i was going to try and use those to just "feel the run of the pipe"

Apart from getting in a drain cleaning firm does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do?

Edit

When I went to take the photo below I noticed that the drain level seemed to be ok, but after running just one tap the level rises. So I guess its a blockage as opposed to fully blocked.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2023-07-11 09.37.16.jpg
    2023-07-11 09.37.16.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
Replying to my own post.
I managed to move the pipe and get my hand in the drain
The trap is like an N lipped 180 deg to the left
I removed about 3 solid handfuls of gunk.
I didnt feel like fat and was white so I suspect washing powder.
I flushed it with a hosepipe and then poured a gallon or so of boiling water.
It appears to draining fine now.

Is there anything we can do to avoid this happening?
Regular treatments of caustic soda?
Swapping out from washing powder to liquid?

All advice welcome
Thanks

Try and resist the temptation to throw chemicals at it. The white stuff may just be soap scum, never known washing powder get ejected in quantities like that but go for liquid (or even the soluble pods) by all means.
And whenever you use the washbasin upstairs, run some (5 seconds worth ideally) hot water down the drain after you've pulled the plug. Or 10 seconds worth of cold water

Try and resist the temptation to throw chemicals at it. The white stuff may just be soap scum, never known washing powder get ejected in quantities like that but go for liquid (or even the soluble pods) by all means.
And whenever you use the washbasin upstairs, run some (5 seconds worth ideally) hot water down the drain after you've pulled the plug. Or 10 seconds worth of cold water
Thanks for the advice, but running water after youve pulled the plug do you mean after the sink /bath has finished draining?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, but running water after youve pulled the plug do you mean after the sink /bath has finished draining?
The sink is the main one, theres usually enough water in a bath to dilute soap scum but yes, chase the dregs out of the sink with more water

Are you in a hard water area? Washing powder is notorious for not dissolving in hard water, and frequently can be found bunging up machines, and pipework, even drains. (As you may have found out....)

I'd be very cautious about sticking your hand in anywhere chemical might still be present, it will melt skin and tissue as well as gunk in the drains. Going forward, I'd look at using a liquid detergent, or the 'pods', fact its already liquid gives it a far better chance of dissolving into the water and cleaning the clothes!

Are you in a hard water area? Washing powder is notorious for not dissolving in hard water, and frequently can be found bunging up machines, and pipework, even drains. (As you may have found out....)
Yes very hard water
I'd be very cautious about sticking your hand in anywhere chemical might still be present, it will melt skin and tissue as well as gunk in the drains
Thats why I am typing with one hand lol.
It was a case of needs must! but, apart from a little scrape on the arm I am ok ( the drain was slowly draining and had had several bathfuls pored down it. But good sensible advice!

. Going forward, I'd look at using a liquid detergent, or the 'pods', fact its already liquid gives it a far better chance of dissolving into the water and cleaning the clothes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back