extra switch/socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric fan heater which I would like to mount on the walll with the cables hidden in the wall out of sight. My electrician (currently wiring my conservatory) has said that the easiest way to do it is to connect an extra cable to an existing socket (a spur, I think he called it) and run it across the wall to a new switch with a fuse in it and then to go straight up the wall to the fan heater, plastering over the cable channels at the end.

Does this sound reasonable? I'm only asking because my neighbour suggested that having concealed cables running in a 'U' shape (down to the existing socket, across to the new switch and up to the fan heater) was not allowed.

The electrician said he would do the job for me this afternoon so if someone could let me know what I should say that would be wonderful.

Sponsored Links
If you doubt what your spark is telling you about adding a spur,what are you doing letting him wire your conservatory. Is your neighbour an electrician or electrical engineer?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have no electrical knowledge myself, but my neighbour is a competent DIYer and suggested this forum to allay any fears I might have. I found the electrician in the Yellow Pages and you hear so many stories about cowboys with false credentials, I just wanted to be sure that the electrician was correct (and aware of all current regulations) and not my neighbour.

So, back to my original question, is my electrician's suggestion for wiring my fan heater allowed?

Thanks.

As long as the cables are vertically or horizontally in line with any switch, socket or accessory then this is within regulations.They are called safe zones and also include an area 150mm down from the ceiling for cables to run horizontally in and 150mm in from an internal or external corner of a wall for cables to run vertically in.

Sponsored Links
So my electrician knows what he's on about and I haven't hired a cowboy (like the chap who built my patio above my damp proof course a few years ago). Thanks for your help.

So that I could watch telly outside in the rain.

Thanks very much for all your help and humour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back