extra socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed an extra socket from an existing socket to run a washing machine and a tumble dryer but have found cable getting warm when both are running presumably due to the two sucking so much power from the heating elements.
Because of this i disconnected the extra socket all together for safety and just wondered would it be best to run a spare 30amp cable to power both the appliances. Also if i did run a spare how many sockets can i run off it besides the washer and the dryer or is this enough for a 30amp cable.

6693ouo.jpg

Sponsored Links
1) Are any of the sockets you show on the ring?

2) Do you understand what a Spur is?

3) You can only put one large (13A) appliance on each outlet... even if it is a double socket.

4) What do you mean by 30Amp cable?

Super quick reply john
yes the existing socket is on the ring and the new extra socket is a spur.
I have a spare 30amp fuse on the mains trip box that used to supply the electric shower but is now redundant as we have a mixer shower from combi, so thought routing this to the extra socket might been enough to supply both washer and tumbler.

You can reinstate your spur socket using 2.5mm T&E cable, and you can run either the washing machine, or the tumble drier from it; but not both at the same time. If you fit a single socket rather than a double that will help prevent overloading.

Where are the sockets? What room(s) and how far apart? What else do you plug into the existing ring socket?

Adding a new circuit is notifiable work and has extra costs.

Sponsored Links
Just got in from work but to answer your questions, the spur uses a t&e but i need to be able to run both while me an missus is at work.

the existing socket is in the kitchen and the spur is roughly 1 metre long that runs into the utility room. Other items on the ring include various things like kettle dishwasher radio tv etc.

If i get another circuit fitted to run the tumble dryer, what your saying is i could only run the tumbler off it or could i run say....a tv radio as well.

You should only run one power hungry appliance through a double socket at any one time - if you need to run both then you should fit 2x single sockets, but you should extend the ring to accommodate these sockets as 26A-ish is very close to the max rating for a length of 2.5mm² twin and earth.

As JohnD mentions, installing a new circuit is notifiable and the cost would be unnecessary. So if possible extend the ring to accommodate 2 single sockets or only use one at a time.

You might also be able to run another spur, from another socket on the ring. This spur could have a single socket for your other appliance.

You should only take one spur from any one socket on the ring, but if the ring has e.g. ten sockets, you could take one spur off each of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back