New kitchen appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new washing machine (2kw) & tumble dryer (4.5kw) can they both be plugged into an existing double socket on a 30amp ring main in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
No. Two reasons:

1) Double sockets are in fact designed to take 13 amps TOTAL. Some quality brands are suitable for taking more than 13 amps total, but none I am aware of are suitable for a total draw of 6.5kw.

2) A 4.5kW tumbledrier? :eek: Are you sure? That is nearly 19 amps at 240V! Therefore it cannot be plugged into a plug socket as the 13A fuse in the plug would blow. Did it come with a "standard" plug attached or is it an industrial/commercial unit?

It sounds like you need to plug the washing machine into a normal plug socket, but will need a dedicated circuit with cooker-plate for your tumbledrier (or a "special" plug and socket... certainly not a normal 3-pin plug! :D )

Sorry Adam, that should read 2.5kw for the tumble dryer 4.5kw total

You will most likely be fine, the key is if the socket is up to it. Brands like MK are usually good for 16-20 A (4 or 5 kW) total load continuous, although as warned the real cheapo brands are really only OK for 13A (3KW) grand total, and then some makes are pretty uncomfortably warm.
But, the saving grace is that the washer only draws the full current when heating the water, and then only if not fed with hot water, so even the cheap sockets will only start cooking things if the washing machine is fed with cold water, and you select 'boil wash', while the tumble is running.
That said, it HAS happened and certainly is possible for the pins to weld into the socket and all sorts of nasty horrors if it does get too hot, and if a lot of hard running is required, then really to use a good brand like MK, or two single sockets in a dual (as opposed to double) back-box would be preferable.
regards M.

Sponsored Links
This is something I could never understand regarding a double socket is design for 13 amp total rating.

If someone put in plugged in 2 electric fire into the double socket, what would happen to the socket?

masona said:
This is something I could never understand regarding a double socket is design for 13 amp total rating.

If someone put in plugged in 2 electric fire into the double socket, what would happen to the socket?

would overheat. if left on for a number of hours could cause a fire

andrew2022 said:
masona said:

would overheat. if left on for a number of hours could cause a fire
For the safely issue, shouldn't it be design to cope with it (?) and yet the UK is have one of the safest electric. I think most people would not know about the fire risk on this one.

masona said:
After a while you might have 3 electric fires... ;)

Thanks guy's for your comments.

However, if I run both of these appliances (4.5kw total) on two seperate sockets, is it still ok, bearing in mind that all the sockets in the house are from a single 30 amp ring main. (How much can you run off a 2.5mm 30 amp ring main).

Simple.

Run the two appliances off 2 single outlets via a new 20A radial circuit from the CU.

23550 Btu/hr

9.38 pferdestaerke (sorry, not very helpful!)

Running high-draw appliances off a dedicated circuit as Securespark suggested is the preferred solution.

However, the easiest solution would be to install two single sockets (either separately or mapj1's suggestion of a dual back box). If you do draw too much juice then the fuse/circuit breaker will go at the consumer unit. Then you need to consider the above.

In case you are wondering what the dual box is, here is one:
AP636.JPG

Never could understand why they don't put a KO hole in the divider in those - would make cabling both sockets onto a ring or radial much easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back