Kitchen Electrics - One ring or two

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just planning a new kitchen layout.

There will be 4 Double Sockets (powering kettle, microwave oven, occasional toaster) etc, plus

Washing Machine
Dishwasher
Tumble Dryer
Fridge Freezer
Extractor Hood

Should a seperate ring be installed from the consumer unit, or is this ok on a single ring?

Sponsored Links
Although there may not be an overload problem taking diversity into account, if these are to be wired on RCBOs or split load RCDs then I would seperate them up from a nuisance tripping point of view - especially from the rest of the house.
I personally think two or three 20A radials are suited to a kitchen, with even the freezer on it's own RCD.

Been debating radial vs ring, whilst total capacity is more, there is a greater chance of overloading the ring. If two radials are installed they could be as follows.

Radial 1 - 20A

2 Double Sockets
Washing Machine
Dishwasher
Extractor Fan

Radial 2 - 20A
Tumble Dryer
2 Double Sockets

Fridge/Freezer on own RCD.

It's up to you.

This is not particularly heavy loading and people have managed for years with similar not even knowing.

As long as the three large loads (four when kettle on) are near the middle of the Ring it would be alright.

Why not have two Radials in 4mm² cable? (still 32A mcb)

WM & DW on one TD & kettle on other - the rest don't matter.

If you are starting afresh - I like to have the extractor hood on the cooker circuit (fused down of course) so that all cooking appliances are controlled by the cooker switch.
(e.g. chip pan fire being sucked up through the hood while you panic about where the other switch is.)

Sponsored Links
Should a seperate ring be installed from the consumer unit, or is this ok on a single ring?
What makes you think that rings are the best design?

Who is going to sign the certificate which says:

I being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the design work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to................................(date) except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

?

What will be the way you'll commit to compliance with P1 on your application for Building Regulations approval?

]

If you are starting afresh - I like to have the extractor hood on the cooker circuit (fused down of course) so that all cooking appliances are controlled by the cooker switch.
(e.g. chip pan fire being sucked up through the hood while you panic about where the other switch is.)

Thanks for your suggestions. Nice point re cooker hood.

For comparison, on my house which was rewired by the council in 82 (wekk before i bought it, un august) i have two ring mains.
- One for the whole house.
- One added later for the conservatory.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back