Extending kitchen ring main + new oven.

PWR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting in a new kitchen, at the moment there are two double sockets, one single socket and a single oven, on its own 30A ring. The extractor is fed from a drop from the upstairs ring. What I want to do is extend the kitchen ring and put in a fused socket for the extractor, (junction box for the old extractor feed to put the upstairs ring back to how it was), a fused socket for the fridge/freezer,and one for the washing machine and hob. I also have a spare 16A fuse in the consumer unit, if I replace this with a 30A mcb will it be OK for a new double oven? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need to find out the current-rating of your new cooker to determine what size mcb, cable and cooker switch you are going to use. Are you intending to run new cable from the CU to the new cooker?

The model we are looking at (whirlpool AKZ 161) is showing a total output of 4300 watts, and a rating of 30A in the technical information. Yes I will be running new cable and a new cooker switch. The cooker will be 9 metres from the consumer unit. Will 6mm cable be OK or do I need to go to 10mm because of the distance? and is 30A fuse OK or do I need to to go up to 45A. Also would this be the same with the cooker switch? Thanks for any info.

Could you post a picture of your consumer unit? It makes it much easier for us to help.

Sponsored Links
No, 6mm will be fine for the cable. Bit confused as to your consumer unit though. What type is it? You seem to have a mixture of 16A and 30A fuses which you don't normally get in the same fusebox.

The fuse board is a Wylex, looks quite old. (post picture later when I get home if you still need to look at it) six mini trip switches 2 6A, upstairs + downstairs lights, 2 16 A, 1 empty, 1 feeding old switch for a removed boiler that will be taken out. And 2 30A, 1 is a ring for the kitchen and the other feeds the rest of the house (2 beds + 2 rooms downstairs). Currently the combi boiler is being fed from the ring main fuse (not the kitchen one) and I wan't to move this over into one of the spare 16A fuses, it is wired through a 3A fcu. The other 16A fuse will go and this is where I wan't the new double oven on a 30-32A fuse on 6mm cable with 45A cooker switch. Sorry if I am repeating I am trying to remember what questions I have answered or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back