new kitchen ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just starting to look into installing a new ring main for the kitchen and utility/wash room and I'm looking for some advice.
I'm planning to install 7 double sockets (fridge, freezer, washer, dryer, microwave and the rest are spare) and an oven (hob will be gas) and also replacing all of the fuses with MCBs.
I have two places spare in the fuse box (I think your supposed to call them a consumer unit now ?) So I'm thinking of either putting the highest load (oven ?) on a separate MCB and the rest in the ring or the fridge freezer (so if something else trips it wont ruin the food). Which would be best ? Any other advice ?

Thanks

Allan

Sponsored Links
neither, i would put the utility room on its own circuit. a washing m/c will draw 13 A when its heater is on , an oven draws (usually) 13 A put them both on and the toaster mcb will trip

if you have an rcd it doesn't matter where the fridge is if the rcd trips it will turn off he supply to all sockets

Hi breezer, sounds like a good plan.

I dont have a RCD (yet, from some other posts I've been reading on here I think I'll look into getting one)

what type of curcuit would you recomend ? a ring seems excessive to me for just two double sockets (the other 5 are in the kitchen) also what ampage is likely to be used by the tumble dryer ? if its 13A as well then I suppose a ring will be required ?

You can't just "get" an RCD, you need to replace the old fusebox with a modern CU.

And I respectfully suggest that unless you want a long time to elapse whilst you learn all about the things you are asking, you should get a pro in to do it for you.

Sponsored Links
The RCD in my parents house is in its own case between the old fusebox and the meter. Also I did say I'd be "looking into getting one" not just "get" one.

I intend to spend time learning whats required before attempting anything, the house needs allot of other work so I'm in no hurry. I'm here for advice and basic guidance, I'll read up on it afterwards and double check everything as I always do with forums.

Good man - and apologies about the RCD - of course you can do it that way, I just wasn't thinking.

FWIW, my advice though would be for a split load CU, as you don't really want all your circuits to be on an RCD. Lights are a Bad Idea, as any trip will plunge the entire house into darkness, and the Fridge/Freezer could do with being on the non-RCD side as well, but if you want to plug it in, rather than wire it to a flex outlet it's a bit of a grey area as to how you can do that within the regulations.

Also, if this "lot of other work" makes it a "refurbishment" then you have to have mains powered smoke alarms, and they mustn't be on an RCD circuit. But even if they aren't required, they are a Good Idea.

Has anybody pointed you at this site yet:confused:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm

Some other useful web resources are:

http://www.diydick.com/ (more than just electrics, although that part is good)

http://www.kevinboone.com/diy.html (has some handy cable size calculators)

>Also, if this "lot of other work" makes it a "refurbishment" then you have >to have mains powered smoke alarms, and they mustn't be on an RCD >circuit. But even if they aren't required, they are a Good Idea.
also must if its a re wire

I not doing a total rewire and I'm not sure exactly how much you have to do for it to class as a refirbishment so don't think mains powered smoke alarms are required, I'll have to check though. But they do sound a good idea so I'll have a bit of a read up on them.

I agree lights, fridges etc are a bad idea on a RCD. I think I'll get everything wired into the existing consumer unit to start with and then consider replacing it with a split load one with a RCD.

Thanks for the links, I've just had a quick browse and bookmarked them, they look like they'll be usefull

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back