New Kitchen Ring main cable size advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick Question re cable size.

Currently the downstairs (including kitchen) is all on one ring main. As am installing a new kitchen that needs the existing sockets to be relocated, I was going to split the ring so the kitchen was on its own 32amp mcb.

My question is this - rather then keeping to 2.5mm for the ringmain, is it advisable to run 4mm for the new kitchen ringmain due to the number of appliances that could potentially be used? Cable would be under floor, clipped to plaster / burried behind plaster/tiles for its run.

The existing ring has been able to cope with a standard size fridge freezer, dishwasher, washer, extractor, microwave, kettle, etc. But the new kitchen layout will include a built in tumble dryer (old dryer was in garage so on a different ring main along with a freezer), washer, dishwasher, american side by side ff, built in combi microwave single fan oven, etc - all potentially could be drawing at the same time at some point.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
If it is a ring, and fused at 32A, 2.5mm is correct.

If it is not a ring but a radial, it would be 4mm for 32A or 2.5mm for 20A.

Your circuit loading is rather high. You would do better to have a non-RCD Cooker radial for the oven and a non-RCD radial for the freezer. If you are running the washer and the drier at the same time, you can expect to get overload trips if you switch on the dishwasher and/or oven and/or combi microwave or kettle and toaster at the same time on the same circuit. Usually you will not have all of these on at the same time so will not get very many overloads. You might consider putting the washer and drier on their own radial with no other sockets. You had better look up their power ratings.

If you are in England or Wales the circuit designer will have to include it in his plans for your certification.

You are advised to increase cable size to 4mm² on a ring if there is a lot of insulation around, otherwise 2.5 is OK.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
You are advised to increase cable size to 4mm² on a ring if there is a lot of insulation around, otherwise 2.5 is OK.

Hi new to the forum doing a self build in Scotland and have a timber frame was looking in to my kitchen ring and was wondering if i should bump up to 4mm as have 150mm of rockwall in studs.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back