Kitchen: How to solve, kitchen electrics and max load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, please help.

I have had a builder/electrician redo my home/kitchen. They have finished, and I am now going to install a kitchen. However, something seems incorrect:
Challenge is that I had an issue with the builder, and though I'm on good terms with the electrician, I want independent advice. I've met with 3 electricians, who each gave me different advice. So, here goes:

Required:
Cooker, Dishwasher & Microwave - each one has it's own isolater/fuse on consumer board
The following items are all on one 'ring':
Tumble Dryer (2kW)
Oven: 3.5kW (or 2.9kW if I change it)
Small Wine Cooler: 0.09kW
Cooking Hood: Not sure of kW
Fridge/Freezer Combo: Not sure, I think 0.09kW
4 double sockets

Problem: The electrician/builder somehow never put a feed for a washing machine, 2.3kW.

Questions:
So, an electrician said he could chase a new wire from washer to consumer unit as there is one spare spot left (and the consumer unit is nearby). Not ideal b/c of plastering, etc, but feasible. I was wondering if you can just attach it to the dishwasher feed?
And, then, can the dryer, hood, oven, cooler and fridge combo plus 4 double sockets all be on one ring?

Thank you very much for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Seems a bit odd tbh to have the dishwasher and microwave on a dedicated circuit but not the oven?

I would personally have run a dedicated supply to the cooker and oven, perhaps one radial for the fridge freezer, and used a ring final for everything else.

What did the Three Little Sparkies tell you?

It depends very much on how the existing circuits are setup, cable size, MCB, etc, etc. Also the load of the dishwasher. It's probably similar to the 2.3KW washing machine and that's getting frighteningly close to 20A.

In the absence of that info, the first thing that springs to mind is can it be run off the same circuit as the microwave instead?

Sponsored Links
If you are on good terms with the electrician that was on the job, talk to them and ask them how they can justify configuring the circuits as they have?
I would have put your laundry utilities on a 32A radial or ring final.
Cooking appliances on 32A Rad
Fridge/Freezer on it own 16A Rad
Then the rest on a ring/radial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back