Kitchen 1st fix.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I’m struggling to get an electrician without an 8 week lead time so I’m looking to first fix my kitchen myself then find someone to replace the consumer unit and connect/test but wondering if anyone could advise me on a few things please.

1- Dishwasher and fridge/freezer can these plug straight in to a socket or do they need to be fused spur protected before the socket?

2- Double oven I need to run a new cable, will 6mm be okay, then electrician connect to new board? (No spares on current consumer unit) also would it require one of those cooker isolation switches? If so is it acceptable to have this fitted inside a larder unit?

3- Induction 4 way hob, is this like the oven, does it need its own MCB or can this go off the ring current ring main?

4- The wiring is a mess nothings chased in with some cables running horizontally. Is this aloud?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
1 main reason for these is so that the user can turn them off if socket hidden. Up to you
2 yes yes yes
3 no it can’t be on a ring. Share with cooker or put in its own 6mm.

Cables should be horizontal or vertical between outlets. Google safe zones.

1 main reason for these is so that the user can turn them off if socket hidden. Up to you
2 yes yes yes
3 no it can’t be on a ring. Share with cooker or put in its own 6mm.

Cables should be horizontal or vertical between outlets. Google safe zones.

Brill thanks for the advise Andy. I’ll probably run individual 6mms for the hob and cooker then as in different locations.

Thanks again mate.

Fit a local accessible isolation switch for the induction hob - When its cleaned it will beep away when the controls are wet.... very annoying.

Can Fridge freezer go on a radial powered by its own RCBO so its still powered if the rest of the house trips?

Don't put the sockets for dishwasher etc behind the appliance as most take up the whole space with no room for a plug in a socket behind

Sponsored Links
Fit a local accessible isolation switch for the induction hob - When its cleaned it will beep away when the controls are wet.... very annoying.

Can Fridge freezer go on a radial powered by its own RCBO so its still powered if the rest of the house trips?

Don't put the sockets for dishwasher etc behind the appliance as most take up the whole space with no room for a plug in a socket behind
Yes
Yes
Yes
All good common sense stuff, sadly lacking so much these days.

RCDs trip when there is a fault, which is rarely or never.
Of those rare trips, they are far more likely to occur when things are in use, which is usually when people are at home using them.

Freezer on it's own circuit:
Trips when someone is at home - they may notice eventually but probably not straight away as freezer is the only thing affected. Food might be saved.
Trips when no one at home - no one notices, food destroyed.

Freezer on circuit with other devices:
Trips when someone is at home - very likely to be noticed immediately as other things not working. Food might be saved.

The only possible difference is that a fault occurs when no one is at home (desperately unlikely given nothing else would be in use), and the fault is not the freezer itself.
Every other circumstance is the same.

Other factors:
Freezers do not defrost instantly when power is removed. They will be good for hours, which is plenty of time for a fault unrelated to the freezer to be found, or the freezer to be connected to another circuit.
If the fault is the freezer itself, then the food will defrost regardless of which circuit it's connected to.
People with vast quantities of food in their freezer (or worse, multiple freezers), might want to reconsider why they have it in the first place.

Or if someone is away for long periods and has a leaky outdoor accessory which trips the moment they leave home

Vast quantities are common in commercial establishments such as sports clubs which are vacant for long periods

The fall out from both can be quite time consuming and expensive, I speak from experience

RCDs trip when there is a fault, which is rarely or never.
Of those rare trips, they are far more likely to occur when things are in use, which is usually when people are at home using them.

Freezer on it's own circuit:
Trips when someone is at home - they may notice eventually but probably not straight away as freezer is the only thing affected. Food might be saved.

Freezer on circuit with other devices:
Trips when someone is at home - very likely to be noticed immediately as other things not working. Food might be saved.

The only possible difference is that a fault occurs when no one is at home (desperately unlikely given nothing else would be in use), and the fault is not the freezer itself.
Every other circumstance is the same.

Other factors:
Freezers do not defrost instantly when power is removed. They will be good for hours, which is plenty of time for a fault unrelated to the freezer to be found, or the freezer to be connected to another circuit.
If the fault is the freezer itself, then the food will defrost regardless of which circuit it's connected to.
People with vast quantities of food in their freezer (or worse, multiple freezers), might want to reconsider why they have it in the first place.
Or install without an RCD, always worked for me.

or like my wife put cram in a box of ice lollies so the door doesnt close.......

or like my wife put cram in a box of ice lollies so the door doesnt close.......

Simply recycle the box straight away and put the individual ice lollys in whatever spaces they fit... also get a lucky dip each time you go to get one :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back