Oven connection inside a kitchen cabinet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am approaching the installation of my new kitchen. I have a separate built in oven to be mounted 3ft off the ground in a tall appliance unit with an isolation switch in an adjacent larder unit. The switch is an MK grid switch 20 amp rated.

My question is:- can I just surface mount a single gang box with the connection unit to the inside of the adjacent larder unit with the oven cable passing through a hole between the larder and appliance unit? The cable will be in surface mounted conduit where needed.

or

Does the connection unit have to be wall mounted behind the oven?

The oven has its own separate feed from the consumer unit and draws less than 13amps.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Only rotating equipment needs an isolator with electrical regulations, in theory an oven does not need an isolator, however it is a good idea to have one where it is easy reached and can be seen so even visitors can isolate in an emergency, so putting an isolator where you can't operate it should there be a fire is pointless. Should never be behind the hob for example, but to one side.

There may be building regulations which require an isolator, but I would use common sense, put it where it is easy to see and access even if the oven went on fire.

Only rotating equipment needs an isolator with electrical regulations, in theory an oven does not need an isolator, however it is a good idea to have one where it is easy reached and can be seen so even visitors can isolate in an emergency, so putting an isolator where you can't operate it should there be a fire is pointless. Should never be behind the hob for example, but to one side.

There may be building regulations which require an isolator, but I would use common sense, put it where it is easy to see and access even if the oven went on fire.

The legalities of isolator switches in cupboards has been covered quite comprehensively on DIYnot and my proposed set up conforms to building regs. It was in fact suggested by the qualified electrician that installed my new consumer unit.

I tend to agree that the isolator switch for an oven on its own feed from the CU is a bit of double jeopardy but given that the CU is 7ft off the ground I concede that an isolator 4ft up in a cupboard could be desirable.

My question related to an built in oven, not a hob, and where to place the electrical connection but thanks for your advice and input.

The law has nothing to do with it other than it must be safe.

The regulations do not require local isolation for any domestic appliance, therefore there are obviously no requirements regarding its location (general rules excepted).

If you regard it as an emergency switched then it must be apparent and easily accessible.

Sponsored Links
... The switch is an MK grid switch 20 amp rated. ... ... can I just surface mount a single gang box with the connection unit to the inside of the adjacent larder unit ...
As has been said, there is no legal or regulatory requirement for any sort of isolator or emergency switch (hence, as has been said, obviously no requirements as to where they should be located). However, if, for whatever reason, you want to have one, why a grid switch in a single box - would a standard 20A switch not be appreciably cheaper (and easier to wire!)?

Kind Regards, John

As has been said, there is no legal or regulatory requirement for any sort of isolator or emergency switch (hence, as has been said, obviously no requirements as to where they should be located). However, if, for whatever reason, you want to have one, why a grid switch in a single box - would a standard 20A switch not be appreciably cheaper (and easier to wire!)?

Kind Regards, John
Thanks John

I have four isolator switches in the same cupboard and a grid switch setup takes up a lot less space. The switches themselves were ordered with the name of the appliances on them i.e. Dishwasher, oven etc.

My question was about the best way to connect the oven and not about switches themselves. Since posting my question I have researched the options and decided how I am going to proceed.

Regards

Chris

Thanks John .... I have four isolator switches in the same cupboard and a grid switch setup takes up a lot less space. The switches themselves were ordered with the name of the appliances on them i.e. Dishwasher, oven etc.
Fair enough. It sounded as if you were talking about just one grid switch on one plate for the oven, and my point was that would take up as much space as an (appreciably cheaper) standard 20A switch. However, it sounds as if I may have misunderstood.

Kind Regards, John

I am approaching the installation of my new kitchen. I have a separate built in oven to be mounted 3ft off the ground in a tall appliance unit with an isolation switch in an adjacent larder unit. The switch is an MK grid switch 20 amp rated.

My question is:- can I just surface mount a single gang box with the connection unit to the inside of the adjacent larder unit with the oven cable passing through a hole between the larder and appliance unit? The cable will be in surface mounted conduit where needed.

or

Does the connection unit have to be wall mounted behind the oven?

The oven has its own separate feed from the consumer unit and draws less than 13amps.

Thanks
The 'connection unit' or 'cable outlet' may go in a nearby cupboard or behind the appliance.

There are pros and cons both ways.
Putting the connection in an adjacent cupboard means you can connect it after sliding the oven into place, and disconnect it before sliding it out. Unless you have a particularly long connecting cable, it's not uncommon for it to be too short to sit the oven on the ground while dealing with the connections - which can means some precarious balancing :eek:
Just make the hole large enough so that the cable isn't too hard to slide in/out - avoid simply changing the problem from "supporting the oven while connecting/disconnecting" to "supporting the oven while you wrangle the cable".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back