Oven Isolators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Sirs,

I am intending on fitting two single ovens (wife wants them!) in a tall unit in our new kitchen. The problem I have is that the run of units is as follows: 50mm trim panel - tall oven housing- 300mm larder unit- american fridge-300mm larder unit-50mm trim panel. These units are sandwiched between two walls, the wall to the left might have a radiator on it, the wall to the right only extends about 2' from the front of the oven before it turns a corner. Immediately after the corner is a door. This means there are no flat surfaces nearby on which to mount the isolator switches for the ovens. Is it ok to mount these switches on another wall, the location I have in mind is approx 7' away and is at right angles to the wall with the ovens?

Thanks for you help
Niall

Sponsored Links
If the ovens are each less than 4.6kW why not put an architrave grid switch in the filler panel?

BUT...

This means there are no flat surfaces nearby on which to mount the isolator switches for the ovens.
I'm not so sure about that, given your descriptions....

the wall to the left might have a radiator on it,
Would the radiator be floor to ceiling? Couldn't you have the switches above the rad?

the wall to the right only extends about 2' from the front of the oven before it turns a corner.
Why isn't 2' big enough to put the switches?

Immediately after the corner is a door.
Immediately?

No room even for an architrave switch?

And do you know about this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p ?

If you're really stuck you can use a ceiling pullcord switch (same as you'd use for an electric shower, not a lightswitch!)

Sponsored Links
We haven't had a debate as to whether an isolating switch located in a cupboard immediately to the side of the oven is classed as "accessible" for a while...

A larder unit would be ideal for mounting a couple of isolating switches :)

Dear All,

thank you for your respones and information.

"Holmslaw" the distance you quote puts the adjacent wall plan out of action...doh!

"Ban-all-sheds" Radiator is now going on the adjacent wall and another larder unit is being built into the wall where the radiator was going to go.
The 2' space is made up of a some stud work leading to a brick pillar, the pillar supports an RSJ and I'm very reluctant to start knocking hole in it and chasing cables. The stud work section is so close to the oven that whenever the oven door is opened it would swing past the switches. I could put the switches above the oven but even so they would be subject to heat and moisture every time the oven was used.
Not sure you can get an architrave switch of sufficient current rating.
Yes I do know about part-p and I have applied to my local authority for building control.

"OwainDIYer" I like the idea of a pull cord and taking that idea a bit further is it permissible to use the architrave switches to operatte a pair of contactors? Rather expensive solution but would be very neat.

"imroberts" What was the outcome of the last debate?

Thank you all for your input, it has been very useful

Regards
Niall

The stud work section is so close to the oven that whenever the oven door is opened it would swing past the switches.
According to you there's 50mm between the edge of the door and the wall - the switches will not protrude that much.

Not sure you can get an architrave switch of sufficient current rating.
If the ovens are each less than 4.6kW why not put an architrave grid switch in the filler panel?

Yes I do know about part-p and I have applied to my local authority for building control.
What did you say would be the way you'd comply with Part P? Or if you said nothing what assumptions of theirs will you be deemed to have accepted?

I ask because if you'll be getting an electrician it might be pointless you making any decisions like these....

"imroberts" What was the outcome of the last debate?
Sorry, I didn't provide much help in my post last night did I!

The regulations state that an "accessible means of isolation" must be provided within 2m of the oven.

Convention states that the isolating switch for most ovens will be located above the worktop a foot or so to the side of the oven. This way it is clearly "accessible" in an emergency, for example if the oven catches fire.

Whether or not you class an isolating switch inside a cupboard as being "accessible" is a matter of personal opinion to be honest. Most electricians would argue that mounting a switch at the back of a cupboard that will be filled with pots, pans, cleaning products, and everything else you stick in there so it's not out on the worktop, makes it completely inaccessible in an emergency situation. If it was mounted, lets say, towards the front of a tall larder unit that wasn't going to be piled full of rubbish, then you might argue that it is in fact perfectly accessible and thus complies with the regulations.

I don't think we'll ever have EVERYONE agreeing on this however :D if you're planning on doing the work yourself under the supervision of your LABC, it's probably best to avoid such situations where it's possible they will disagree with your interpretation of the regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back