Cooker Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redoing my kitchen and changing my oven from a single to double oven with a gas hob. I'm also moving it to the other side of the kitchen. The current oven is run from the consumer unit in 6mm cable on its own 32A circuit. The new double oven is 4.3 kw. Can I just join a new 6mm from where the existing CCU is to where the new CCU will be? Or as my current consumer unit has no RCD's in it should I connect an RCD unit to where the old CCU was and then run the 6mm from there to the new CCU? Also for the gas hob ignition shall I connect off the existing ring or the new oven circuit cos if I'm right it only needs to be plugged into a socket with maybe a 3/5amp fuse in the plugtop?

Sponsored Links
The new oven is 19 amps. It should be on a 20 amp circuit, wired in 4mm or 6mm cable. (6mm is best for future upgrading)

The cable should take the most direct route possible from the CU to the cooker area. Cables must not be joined in walls and plastered or tiled over. All joints must be accessible without destroying laminate flooring or ceilings.

At the cooker, fit a 20 amp double pole switch (or if you like, a 45 Amp isolator without a socket built in)

Then behind the oven, fit a cooker outlet plate for the oven, then next to it, fit a single socket for the hob ignition (there is a 1 amp tolerance in the circuit for the hob, this is plenty)

Thanks Steve, the only issue I have is that my consumer unit seems to be quite rare and I'm having difficulty finding replacement breakers. As I mentioned the existing oven circuit is a 32A. Would it be much of a problem to leave it on that size breaker? If I do should I fit the RCD unit as I suggested. This might solve the over rating of the breaker and the connection of old to new 6mm cable problems?

The MCB on a consumer unit normally protects cable so 32A with 6mm cables is OK.

So likely you can extend and connect to new isolator and from there to cooker.

If it was that easy. To extend the cable you must know the earth loop impedance (ELI) and calculate with extra cable will it still be within limits.

The meters to do this are expensive.

Likely because of this any work in Kitchens in England and Wales needs local authority building control (LABC) approval.

As to RCD fixed appliances don't have to be RCD protected but cable buried less than 50mm in a wall does. Or it has to be special cable BS 5467, BS 6346. BS 6724, BS 7846, BS EN 60702-1 or BS 8436 the latter called Ali-tube most likely but often you can only buy whole role.

So really not a DIY job. Will help of course but think carefully if this is really within your skills.

Sponsored Links
It's a dorman smith board. In terms of the extending of the cable, I understand what you are saying but the extension length is no
more than 6/8 meters so we are not talking of a great length. This shouldn't have too great an effect on the earth fault impedence of the circuit. However I still would like to know, if I fit and rcd unit to where the current ccu is (so that it is run of the 32A breaker at the board on the original 6mm cable) and then run a new 6mm from this rcd to the new ccu location, would that not be suitable and within regulations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back