Future proof oven and hob circuits

Sponsored Links
Ok so thanks for all the replies so far, I think I might have worded the thread title wrong which I see now is causing some debate!
By "future proofing" I literally meant like a few months (maybe sooner) when we upgrade cooking appliances.
Tbh I have already bought the 6mm cable as I anticipated that would be sufficient, but just thought to check on here with regards to the connection method, mainly whether it's one or two mcb's?
Also while I'm here I'd like to know if I really have to connect both to a ccu above the worktop or can I fit something in the 400mm base unit in between hob and oven housing?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Ok so thanks for all the replies so far, I think I might have worded the thread title wrong which I see now is causing some debate!
This issue always results in 'some debate'!
By "future proofing" I literally meant like a few months (maybe sooner) when we upgrade cooking appliances.
I would suspect that even those who are saying things about 'future proofing' would have to agree that a single 32A (or even 40A, but you wouldn't need that) circuit with a single 6mm² cable is more than enough for any cooking appliances you're likely to install in the foreseeable future.

As for 'future proofing' (long-term future) I would have though that, the way the world is going, it's far more likely that the more-distant future will see the emergence of methods of cooking which use less electrical power, not more.

Kind Regards, John

Great! So just to clarify:

32A mcb - 6mm cable - 45a dual outlet plate inside base unit - 2x 6mm cable to oven and hob

I take it this means the isolation for both is the breaker at the consumer unti? That ok?

Regards

32A mcb - 6mm cable - 45a dual outlet plate inside base unit -
You still need a cooker switch above the worktop.
Then 6mm² cable to dual outlet,
then 4mm² cable to oven and hob will be adequate.

I take it this means the isolation for both is the breaker at the consumer unti?
That and the cooker switch.

and for it to be within 2 metres of both appliances

having separate switches has the advantage that one appliance can be isolated if it's tripping the breaker (not unknown with heating elements) but the other appliance still used

having separate switches has the advantage that one appliance can be isolated if it's tripping the breaker (not unknown with heating elements) but the other appliance still used
People don't want two switches if the appliances are together.
Plus, as they are primarily for emergencies, not required for isolation, you have the disadvantage of choosing which one in a panic.

Deffo don't want two switches, I was hoping I wouldn't even need one! (On view anyway) as I think they look a bit ugly.

It'll be well within the 2 metre range assuming you mean distance from socket to appliance and not the length of the cable?

Regards

Future proof, I would go for a wood burning stove!
What with the state of the grid and vulnerable gas supplies :eek:

Future proof, I would go for a wood burning stove! What with the state of the grid and vulnerable gas supplies :eek:
I thought the trees were disappearing as well! An extremely large mirror or lens might be a better bet, provided one only wants to cook during daylight hours on sunny days :)

Kind Regards, John

Ok I went and got a click dual cooker outlet plate from my local C E F but they didn't stock or even know about the specific patress box which is available for it so am now looking to buy it online.
Seems only a few people sell it but I'm pretty sceptical about buying online from retailers I haven't heard of so just thought to ask here.

Options are:

Electrical2go
Websparky
Astra247.com
Trojan Electrical

Can anyone recommend any of the above?

Paid 8 quid for the outlet plate and all the above are charging around a fiver for the back box so this is eating into my beer money rapidly, mmmmm beeeeer :mrgreen:

Regards

Homer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back