Future proof oven and hob circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new kitchen but am using the existing double oven and electric hob for now as they both work fine and the wife and I haven't decided if we'll be having the same setup when we upgrade. We will probably go for induction hob and either double oven again or single oven and built in combi microwave.
Existing wiring is 6mm cable from 32A mcb to ccu which has two 4mm cables running to oven and hob.
If two 6mm cables run from two separate 32A mcb to two separate ccu again with 6mm cable for both, will that be ok for any future oven / hob setup we opt for?

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
If I was future proofing I would use 10mm !

Kind Regards,

DS

Oh ok that's sounds logical, 10mm just to the ccu or the whole lot?

Thanks

You will never need more than one 6mm² cable.

10mm² is a waste unless you ever need to connect a flat to it.

Sponsored Links
Deadshort is there a specific reason you recommend 10mm?

EFLI do you mean one 6mm cable as in one circuit split into two at ccu or one 6mm cable for each appliance from separate mcb's?

Thanks

You will never require more than 10mm even if you buy an all electric range cooker and had an induction hob or what is more popular two ovens. That's future proofing.

Kind regards,

DS

You will never require more than 10mm even if you buy an all electric range cooker and had an induction hob or what is more popular two ovens. That's future proofing.
Do I take it that you are not a believer in (per OSG-guidance) diversity? If you were, then, as if often discussed, a 32A circuit (which may need 6mm² cable, but might well be OK with 4mm²) can support a total cooking load of up to about 19.5 kW - and I somewhat doubt that anyone is ever going to need more than that (in an ordinary domestic environment).

Kind Regards, John

EFLI do you mean one 6mm cable as in one circuit split into two at ccu
Yes.

Assuming method C installation (clipped or buried in masonry) you could have a 40A MCB which will allow connection of up to 25kW of cooking appliances.

I'd put in 10mm² then you know for sure there will never be an issue.

I'd put in 10mm² then you know for sure there will never be an issue.
No-one could disagree that such an approach would ensure that there will never be an issue!

However, if you believe in diversity, if 10mm² cable were optimally installed (i.e. 'Method C') that (on a 63A MCB) would support a total cooking load of about 187A, aka 42.7 kW - which some people may feel is considerably (or choose your alternative word!) in excess of any conceivable future requirements. If we were being rational, I think the discussion would probably be about whether it should be 4mm² or 6mm² cable, rather than about 10mm²!

Kind Regards, John

I think there's a difference between 'leaving room for expansion' and 'future-proofing'.

2 x 6mm is leaving room for expansion
2 x 10 mm is future proofing

2 x 10 mm and a Cat7 data cable is definately future proofing so you can turn your oven on over the internet. :D

I think there's a difference between 'leaving room for expansion' and 'future-proofing'.
2 x 6mm is leaving room for expansion
2 x 10 mm is future proofing
I think I could probably benefit from some education about that distinction!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back