Kitchen Circuit Design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am about to start running the circuits for my new kitchen extension and am wondering what circuit design is best to implement. I am very close to the consumer unit and can run cables easily under the raised floors, so cable running is not an issue.

I am thinking this (before i get an electrician to come and quote for the work)

Circuit 1 - 10 x Sockets with a Dishwasher and wine cooler on this circuit.
Circuit 2 - Washer / Dryer / Hob Ignition / Extractor Hood
Circuit 3 - Fridge / Freezer
Circuit 4 - 3.5Kw Oven
Circuit 5 - 3.5Kw Oven (unless told i can run both off one feed)

I was thinking of having all appliances on one circuit and all sockets on another circuit, but thought it better to split the load slightly, so i moved the dishwasher and winecooler to the sockets circuit (circuit 1)

Is this a good practical design?

I know the electrician will have his own view on this, but unless you can think of any reason why this doesnt work, this is probably what i will ask for..along with the MK grid sockets that I was told about in another thread.

Many Thanks
Jason

Sponsored Links
I couldn't have done it better myself:cool:
The ovens on 4 and 5 are best kept on separate feeds as both on together would be pushing the behind out of a 32A MCB.

You haven't said what ratings these circuits will be, however:

Presumably you intended for circuit 1 to be a 32A ring.
The ovens would be fine on separate 16A circuits. Could alternatively have 1 32A circuit for both.
A 20A radial for circuit 2 would be adequate.
Can't see why you want the freezer and fridge completely separate. They are both low power items.

I presume having the freezer and fridge on a separate circuit is an attempt to separate them from other RCDs controlling the rest of the house.

Sponsored Links
Of course but what size cable might he have to install? Double that up the terminals, etc. It's personal choice.

Thanks all for the replies, its reassuring to know that this is a good approach.
I didnt put the ratings in as I dont know them, I will leave that to the electrician, but I wanted to get a good handle on the design and where the sockets / RFU's etc are going to go.

Thanks again.
Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back