Can I wire a fridge/freezer to a cooker circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am replacing my kitchen and adding a number of new sockets to the existing ring (which runs on a 20amp trip), to run appliances etc.

I'm worried about the potential of overloading the circuit by having all of the appliances (washer/dryer, dishwasher and fridge/freezer) on the same circuit. Although this is how it currently runs (i.e. all on the same circuit), the new appliances are 'heavier-duty', e.g. a big American fridge freezer and a washer/dryer.

Is it possible (and safe) to add a single socket to the cooker circuit, as a spur from the oven connection unit - I'm thinking that this could run the fridge/freezer, to take the load off of the 20amp circuit?

Sponsored Links
You really need a dedicated freezer radial circuit fed off a B16 breaker and RCD as appropriate, to supply a single labelled socket point for the freezer - it's safer too, as other loads will not interfere with the freezer supply so easily. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You really need a dedicated freezer radial circuit fed off a B16 breaker and RCD as appropriate, to supply a single labelled socket point for the freezer - it's safer too, as other loads will not interfere with the freezer supply so easily. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks! I may have found a simpler solution that would work for me - if I change the cooker switch to one with an integrated single socket, I assume that I can run the fridge/freezer on that socket?

Sponsored Links
Fair enough - I asked because sometimes people think they can tell LABC one thing and then do another, or think that they can get an electrician to "sign it off", but if you've got it all in hand you'll not fall into those traps.

What have you done so far to find out why, and resolve, the fact that you've got a 20A ring final?

Fair enough - I asked because sometimes people think they can tell LABC one thing and then do another, or think that they can get an electrician to "sign it off", but if you've got it all in hand you'll not fall into those traps.

What have you done so far to find out why, and resolve, the fact that you've got a 20A ring final?

Sorry, I don;t know what you mean by '20A ring final'? There is a problem with the electrical box wiring (we discovered after moving to the property), which an electrician has already identified - there are 2 20A circuits but 1 of them (marked downstairs sockets) trips permanently and the box looks like it has been rewired on the consumer side in a strange way. The cause of the problem has not been identified yet because all of the sockets etc in the house are working, so nothing appears to be obvious.

For the work that I am doing in the kitchen - I am running the wiring and putting all of the back boxes in and have an electrician coming to connect everything up and certify it all as fit for purpose. He will also do diagnostics on the main box and internally as appropriate to identify and rectify the existing issue.

Sorry, I don;t know what you mean by '20A ring final'?
... the existing ring (which runs on a 20amp trip) ...

there are 2 20A circuits
Why do you think they are rings?

For the work that I am doing in the kitchen - I am running the wiring and putting all of the back boxes in and have an electrician coming to connect everything up and certify it all as fit for purpose.
Presumably you are doing this with his full knowledge and agreement, and following his directions for cable routes etc, so if (as you imply above) you've been reading about things on this forum before posting, have you not seen the advice, given by countless people, that your electrician is the only one you should be asking questions of, because he is the one you'll be expecting to certify it all as fit for purpose?

Part of the certificate is a declaration that the design complies with the Wiring Regulations, and the loads which go on a circuit are a design issue.

Please ask your electrician if you can add the load of the fridge to the cooker circuit.

ring = my own terminology.

Thanks for the education - yes there are countless posts here - but it is a forum and there is no harm getting extra thoughts and advice, which I will continue to do

ring = my own terminology.
There's a problem with using your own terminology when what you are doing is to use a word with a specific meaning already long-established to mean something else.

RING:

rings.gif

RADIALS:

radial.gif

Thanks for the education - yes there are countless posts here - but it is a forum and there is no harm getting extra thoughts and advice, which I will continue to do
Indeed.

But it's hard to see why your electrician should be different to all the others, and not be unwilling to sign this:

I being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signatures below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the design work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011

if he hadn't actually done the design, nor be unwilling to declare to the council that he did all of the work.

Still - time will tell, eh?

I really don't get your points here?

I didn't say that ring didn't mean what you describe, I said it was my own terminology, i.e. I didn't say 'ring main'.
I didn't say that the design hadn't been done by the electrician, nor that he isn't checking everything, nor that everything isn't visible to him - etc. Just because I am doing some simple work myself is not a crime! Everything has and is being done completely properly and to everyone's satisfaction.

My question was about the fridge freezer, not into whether due process on design and sign-off issues have been / are being followed. Understanding about things like loads is of interest, hence my question and as I have said, whether I ask my electrician or not, it's perfectly reasonable to get other people's views.

Thanks for your comments anyway.

I really don't get your points here?

I didn't say that ring didn't mean what you describe, I said it was my own terminology, i.e. I didn't say 'ring main'.
I was just trying to explain why using your own terminology in that way is problematical.

Hi, I am replacing my kitchen and adding a number of new sockets to the existing ring
Whatever you meant to say, I'm afraid that the term "ring" (or "ring main" or "ring final") used in the context of a domestic socket circuit actually means this and only this:

rings.gif

I didn't say that the design hadn't been done by the electrician,
This is a design issue:
I'm worried about the potential of overloading the circuit by having all of the appliances (washer/dryer, dishwasher and fridge/freezer) on the same circuit. Although this is how it currently runs (i.e. all on the same circuit), the new appliances are 'heavier-duty', e.g. a big American fridge freezer and a washer/dryer.
You raised it with us, not your electrician.

This is a design question:
Is it possible (and safe) to add a single socket to the cooker circuit, as a spur from the oven connection unit - I'm thinking that this could run the fridge/freezer, to take the load off of the 20amp circuit?
You asked it of us, not your electrician.

nor that he isn't checking everything, nor that everything isn't visible to him - etc. Just because I am doing some simple work myself is not a crime!
I never said it was.

Everything has and is being done completely properly and to everyone's satisfaction.
But that's the problem - you are circumventing your electrician's design authority.

My question was about the fridge freezer, not into whether due process on design and sign-off issues have been / are being followed.
The due process has to be followed.

Understanding about things like loads is of interest, hence my question and as I have said, whether I ask my electrician or not, it's perfectly reasonable to get other people's views.
Indeed, but if their views do not coincide with those of your electrician, what will you do?

Whatever mate, this is now boring and irrelevant. Shame that you did nothing to answer the question anyway.

No more posts from me, I have wiring to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back