Can you site isolating switches for kitchen appliances in a local cupboard?

I liked the LAP range of grid switches, fuses and sockets. You can also get wifi controlled.

As to over current device, if it switches off where the current goes over 30 mA how can you say that is not over current?

Sponsored Links
...but that is residual current - nothing to do with the usual meaning for overcurrent devices nor the current flowing in the conductors.

...but that is residual current - nothing to do with the usual meaning for overcurrent devices nor the current flowing in the conductors.
Quite so. As I wrote (and still believe to be the case)...
.... I really don't think that many people would say that an RCD 'protects against overcurrent' (even though it operates when the residual current exceeds a certain value), would they?
However, it seems that eric is one of the few people who would say that! I wonder if he would regard a relay or contactor with N/C contacts as being an 'overcurrent device'?

Kind Regards, John

Even if the regulations don't require them we should consider 2 things.

1) How many reports have there been of faulty dishwashers/fridges/tumble dryers catching fire and burning houses down? Too many! So its nice to turn them off when not in use (except fridge)

2) When you have an rcd tripping and you don't know why. (and your aren't an electrican) its nice to be able to turn everything off, to be able to get critical items working while you wait for an electrician to visit you. With integrated appliances it's not easy to unplug everyone (on the off chance it may stop an RCD trip)

Sponsored Links
Even if the regulations don't require them we should consider 2 things....
Whilst I personally have absolutely no problem with people who want to have isolators (or 'emergency switches'), ...
1) How many reports have there been of faulty dishwashers/fridges/tumble dryers catching fire and burning houses down? Too many! So its nice to turn them off when not in use (except fridge)
Although I don't doubt that it must happen very occasionally, I think you would probably struggle to find many reports of appliances catching on fire when "not in use". As for once they have already caught on fire (almost always when "in use"), switching off the electricity then is unlikely to have much impact on the fire (and not necessarily even easy/possible, given that those who do have isolators have a habit of locating them very close to the appliance).
2) When you have an rcd tripping and you don't know why. (and your aren't an electrican) its nice to be able to turn everything off, to be able to get critical items working while you wait for an electrician to visit you. With integrated appliances it's not easy to unplug everyone (on the off chance it may stop an RCD trip)
All true, but how often does that actually happen? For what it's worth as an anecdote, in the 35 years or so that I have lived with (a good few) RCD-protected kitchen/utility appliances, I can't recall a single occasion on which one of them has tripped an RCD.

Kind Regards, John

I've had a fair few cooking elements cause RCD trips, and been glad the dual pole switches
Also a freezer

I've had a fair few cooking elements cause RCD trips, and been glad the dual pole switches
Ah - fair enough - but I don't have any electric cooking appliances (other than a microwave) :) Mind you, electric cookers are one thing that often usually do have local isolators, even when nothing else does.

Do electric cookers not come with DP switches?
Also a freezer
I've had a good few fridges/freezers die over the years, but can't recall an RCD being tripped. The only freezer-related RCD trip I can recall was when my cellar got flooded, and the water level rose high enough to hit the freezer's electrical bits. In that case, the whole cellar had to be isolated, anyway, and the RCD did that for me!

Kind Regards, John

Kitchen in this house has a small consumer unit just for the kitchen right by the back door, in real terms there was no need at all for oven isolators, hob isolators, or any others, but the electricians doing the work insisted on fitting them.

I assume you were paying him. You were in charge, he has to do what YOU want, not something that is NOT required.

I assume you were paying him. You were in charge, he has to do what YOU want, not something that is NOT required.
County Council Social services were paying for most of the work, in fact the isolator on the oven caused a lot of problems, the LA sent some one to show my mother how to use the new oven, and she told mother to switch off at the wall once finished, this caused two problems, one stuff in the cupboard above the oven got hot, as the cooling fan had been turned off, and when the oven was switched on again it would not work until the clock was set.

My mother would not take my word that oven should be left on, and we had to get a social worker to tell mother there had been a mistake and oven should be left on.

Excuse given the instructor was use to gas, however not seen a gas tap by an oven in years. So if no isolator for gas, why is there an isolator for electric?

Ah - fair enough - but I don't have any electric cooking appliances (other than a microwave) :) Mind you, electric cookers are one thing that often usually do have local isolators, even when nothing else does.

Do electric cookers not come with DP switches?
I've had a good few fridges/freezers die over the years, but can't recall an RCD being tripped. The only freezer-related RCD trip I can recall was when my cellar got flooded, and the water level rose high enough to hit the freezer's electrical bits. In that case, the whole cellar had to be isolated, anyway, and the RCD did that for me!

Kind Regards, John
Many freezers are frost free, the way this is done is put the cooling bits at back under a cover and have a fan circulate the air except on defrost cycle and the de-frost is done with a mineral insulated element similar to used in an oven but only around 120 watt, some times the seals go on the end of the heater and the mineral absorbs any moisture in the atmosphere so trips the RCD. Because the heater only comes on a few times a day, once it trips all can be reset and will work for a good few hours before next de-frost cycle. So hard without a meter between neutral and earth (as line not connected until defrost cycle) to work out what has caused the RCD to trip.

Because it is so hard to find, house holders often don't find it, and call out electricians, so for electricians it seems a common fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back