Removing appliance Grid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am in the middle of a kitchen refit and I would like to get rid of my appliance grid switch. It is a 4 switch grid that has the fridge, dishwasher, Hob, extractor

The Hob is gas anyway so I presume it was for ignition and extractor hood has been removed as we are having an island with induction hob. So only the fridge and dishwasher remain.

Can I remove the grid and have these remaining two appliances as switched sockets.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can remove the grid switch. Are you going to replace it with a socket?

Either way, you will have to connect the remaining still wanted cables.
Two for the appliances and likely two for the ring circuit; so four wires in each of the three terminals.

Presumably the remaining two appliances already have sockets - switched or not is up to you.

As an aside: I must remember grid switches the next time people tell me that more than one spur should not be connected to one point on the ring circuit.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Ok another quick question, can I repurpose switches so they power new appliances, so for example a hot water tap and a built in microwave. I presume I just need to feed the new cable in from the sockets that supply the new appliances into the new grid modules. I also presume that I need to be aware of the load. I doubt a 900w microwave will be a problem but what about a hot water tap. Guessing around 2kw but could be way out.

Yes, make sure the switches are rated high enough for the appliance. Might be 20A ones already.

Watts divided by 240(Volts) = Amps.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back