wiring hob and hood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am wiring up my kitchen and want to fit a grid for my fridge, washing machine, hood and hob. Now i have wired the grid into the kitchen ring and then have taken 2.5mm from the grid to each of the appliances mentioned. I have brought a 4 gang grid plate for my 4 appliances. My question is, for the washing machine and fridge i will put single sockets and for the hood and hob i will buy 2 fused spurs with flex outlets, is this ok? Also if i do this will i only need to get 4 x 20a dp grid switchs?

Sponsored Links
Power (watts) = Volts x Amps

Amps = Power/Volts

Your voltage will be 230v

Use the formula to work out the amperage (load) of your appliances.

The hood/fridge should be ok on the kitchen power circuit as they don`t use much juice. The washing machine, is your choice as they are more powerful but be aware of having everything on all at once this could push the circuit load up.

The hob will probably be an issue as the elements will be demanding i.e 3Kw
or 3000w = 230v x 13.04amps (formula above)

So the hob may need it`s own circuit

Sponsored Links
Domestic hobs are usually rated somewhere in the region of 6kW, and require a dedicated radial circuit.

It is best to keep the fridge on it's own independant supply too, to prevent an unexpected defrosting of the fridge should something in the kitchen cause the MCB / RCD to trip.

It is also a lot of proposed load to have all on the same point of a ring circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back