How many Fused Spurs from a single Junction box ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to wire the boiler and the cooker hood in the kitchen.

Both boiler and cooker hood require a 3A FCU connection.
I have the kitchen's ring on a 2.5mm T&E nearby. Can I get two fused spurs from the same junction box of the kitchen's ring both spurs with a 1.5mm T&E cable to feed the boiler and cooker hood ?

I'm using an MK grid system for having boiler, cooker hood and washing machine DP switches and fuses. The washing machine has its own radial on a 2.5mm T&E.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you want to do, exactly. In one breath you talk about fused spurs from the ring, and in the next you talk about a grid switch...

For the former, FCUs from the ring, why not just put them on the ring and not have to use a junction box?

Regarding the latter, are you going to end up with multiple circuits coming into a single enclosure? Are you aware of the warning notice requirements for that? Why not just use the radial already going to the grid enclosure?

And are you aware that all this work is notifiable?

I have attached a diagram of what I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to feed the boiler and cooker hood with spurs from the downstairs ring.

The washing machine radial circuit has a 20A MCB on the CU.
I'm having two junction boxes for the downstairs mains ring as there was only one ring in the house for upstairs and downstairs so I wanted to separate them. The second JB is because I've changed the side where the cooker goes so hadn't made provision for extra mains sockets !.

What's the best way of wiring boiler and cooker hood?

Also, what is the warning notice requirements re: multiple circuits coming into a single enclosure ?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
If I go with what SeanT has suggested is this the right way to wire the grid ?
Also, all the cable is 2.5 apart from cable coming after the 3A switches to DP and to Cooker hood and boiler in which case I will use 1.5mm, correct ?

Does the fuse comes before the DP switch or after ?

Thanks...

Fuses come after the DP switches not before, in your diagram your limiting the load to 13amps by going through the fuse first. Bring your radial circuit into the box and loop it through the the input of each 20amp DP switch, then wire the outputs of the switches to their respective fuse then from the fuse to the appliance. Please post a new pic so we know you understand.

This is the final wiring of the grid.

I have fitted a blank after the DP switch for the washing machine so that I do not restrict the circuit to 13A only.

Please advice...

The W/M is not going to need more than 13A, and if you don't use a fuse you'll have to replace its flex with 2.5mm, which may not fit the terminals, and if the internal wiring of the appliance is designed with the expectation of a 13A fuse protecting it you may create a danger.

Unless you haven't mentioned that this dp switch will feed a double socket of course.

What - like the socket he shows in his drawing?
smack.gif

I'll get my coat...

Unless you haven't mentioned that this dp switch will feed a double socket of course.

And have omitted said double socket from the drawing, and just written "to washing machine" - this could mean to washing machine via......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back