how many spurs from a single junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to fit a washing machine supplied via an 20A isolating switch above the work surface feeding a 13A socket below work surface into which the washing machine will plug. The isolating switch will be fed as a spur from a 32A junction box broken into a below floorboards kitchen ring. This is all perfectly OK I believe but is it permissible to run a second spur from the same junction box to feed an 13A switched fcu also fitted above the work surface which I intend be a boiler supply point. All the wiring in 2.5mm t & e buried in tubes in the wall.
This would mean four cables connected into the junction box - ring (2x) and spurs (2x).
The junction box I bought confusing had 2x 2.5mm written on its underside which is when i started wondering about all this.
Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Purely because of the crowding in the junction box I wouldn't want to be doing this.

Can you not extend the ring?

Remember that junc. box will need to be accessible for periodic inspection.

A bit more detail and a diagram might help.

Why not spur off an existing socket to an fcu you can then add (within reason) as many additional sockets as you wish

Remember also that if this is a kitchen then the work you are describing is notifiable...

Thanks for prompt replies gents.
I think you are saying there is no basic problem with two spurs from a single junction box provided it is done in workman like way. Four 2.5mm cables seem to fit ok entering each compass point and the terminals seem rigid enough. I could add a second junction box in the ring close to the first and take a spur from each meaning only three wires per box.
The sockets on the ring are someway from the intended spurs and trailing cables from these would be untidy.
By extending the ring did you mean running both sides of the ring into the fcu and isolating switch. This would involve more cabling up and down the wall hence my preference for spurs.
Any further comments would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
By extending the ring did you mean running both sides of the ring into the fcu and isolating switch. This would involve more cabling up and down the wall hence my preference for spurs.
Any further comments would be appreciated.
LABTYD.

Don't do a poor job just because you can't be bothered to do a proper one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back