Spur from a Junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought an ABOX Series Junction Box for use with 2.5mm conductor. Can I simply locate the nearest cable on the ring main to where I want my Spur to be, connect this to the Junction box and spur off the box. I'm using 2.5m twin and earth.

Sponsored Links
As long as it is accessible.*

* Search for debates about accessibility of JB's etc..

securespark said:
As long as it is accessible.*

* Search for debates about accessibility of JB's etc..

Simon, spoke to the senior regional NICEIC engineer today, also agrees that JB's under floorboards are considered as inaccessible and do not comply with BS:7671.

Sponsored Links
Did you slap him and say "And that's for Part P!" :?:

Surely "accessible" is a subjective term. Is a JB mounted to a 15-foot high ceiling accessible? I would say yes, but I am sure there are plenty of people without ladders out there. The only SAFETY reason I can see against JBs under floorboards is that you wouldn't be able to see smoke pouring out of them.

An FCU hidden behind a kitchen appliance is NOT accessible in my books. Plus there are plenty of kitchens out there with a switched plug socket behind the fridge, only accessible by pulling the fridge out. A JB under the floorboards is as accessible as that, and is isolated in the same way (i.e. by pulling the fuse on the circuit).

Of course you could just avoid all the controversy and use resin-filled components. OK, possibly overkill, but you avoid accessibility requirements. :D

OK, lets play a game...

You have to find a JB under the floorboards, 1st floor socket circuit....

I have to find a socket behind the fridge.....

And as to Part P, I'm all in favour of it...

You could put mains smoke detectors under the floor adj to each jb....

securespark said:
You could put mains smoke detectors under the floor adj to each jb....

if you did that, how would you supply them? another junction box? :LOL:

Yeah, but then that jb would have another SD supplied by the same jb........does that make sense?!!

:LOL:

il78 said:
OK, lets play a game...

You have to find a JB under the floorboards, 1st floor socket circuit....

I have to find a socket behind the fridge.....

Yeah, Ian, take your point mate, but this is not about finding jb's, it's a question of accessibility.

From an accessibility pov, they are both as accessible as each other - you need to move other things before reaching them.

You could have jb's as accessible as you like, but it won't mean they are easier to find or id.

How about jb's inside a fitted wardrobe, or in the cupboard under the stairs?

You really have to know they are there before you can start. Same as a jb under the floor.

We're going back to the whole definition of accessible. If joints etc should be reachable without the use of access equipment or tools, then it should be written that way.

It never will be, though, because it is wholly impractical to suggest that all junction boxes (for example) should not be situated in voids, cavities, enclosures etc..

If you believe that location is part of the issue of accessibility, then no installation would comply without detailed written instructions as to the locations of every cable joint on the premises.

Well I live in a maisonette and all of my wiring (lighting, radials and rings) is carried in my loft so it is all very easy to trace circuits and work on them. I would say that all three of the JBs on my wiring are accessible, and easy to find.

But I guess I am just lucky :LOL:

To add to secure's contribution, this puts the domestic installer in an uncomfortable position as much of the work involves adding to existing installations. Of course, ideally, you can use existing sockets to extend a ring, or to spur off, but very often this is impractical or undesirable and adds to the time and hence cost. To your average householder cost is the only real issue because they wouldn't know whether or not the work was to regulation anyway and don't actually understand the potential dangers.

So, stick to your guns and lose out to a cowboy or do the very best job you can to safely achieve the objective?

Oh, and I still can't find anything in BS:7671 or the guidance notes which specifically prohibits under-floor JB's and the NICEIC are not yet in charge of British Standards. Perhaps NICEIC installers simply don't keep records of jobs they undoubtedly do that fall outside NICEIC's own extra little rules?

dingbat said:
the NICEIC are not yet in charge of British Standards.
/quote]

No, mate, but the like to think they invented the f*****g system.

I notice loads of guys here occasionally having a "rant". Well, my time has come. (Deep Breath....calm down, Simon!)

It seems crazy to me that there is a two-tier system where you have work to 7671, and work to NIC standards. No wonder JP is confused!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back