Number of spurs from kitchen ring main.

... One solution, and good practice - is to fit the ring cable into the terminals without actually cutting the ring cable. Strip it perfectly to just neatly fit in the terminals and pass straight through the JB. Two more 2.5mm cables can then be easily fitted in the terminals. Earth sleeving cannot then be fitted on the earth wires, but a small concession to make, for a tidier and safer outcome.
Yes, I'm often done that and, as well as reducing the number of conductors in each terminal, it also means that the ring cable remains unbroken.

The CPC is an issue. The compromise I often adopted is to cut only the CPC, so that it can be sleeved. Since (other than for 1mm² T+E) the CPC is smaller than the live conductors, there should be no problem getting N+1 CPCs into a terminal which can accommodate N live conductors. If one does not do that, given the amount of outer sheath that has to be stripped, there can be an uncomfortable amount of bare CPC floating around ('crammed') within the JB.

However, as TTC has said, this approach (using traditional JBs, with screwed terminals) is no longer allowed for 'inaccessible joints', and the MF JBs invariably are 'one conductor per hole', such that the issue we're discussing does not arise

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OK thanks for clarifying the 'final' meaning. I'm not certain of definitions etc. By part p qualified I referring to electritions who are domestic installers able to self certify their work. My understanding was that extending a circuit needed BR certification but adding spurs didn't.
Adding a spur is an addition to a circuit and needs a minor works cert

OK thanks for clarifying the 'final' meaning. I'm not certain of definitions etc. By part p qualified I referring to electritions who are domestic installers able to self certify their work. My understanding was that extending a circuit needed BR certification but adding spurs didn't.
Adding a spur is an addition to a circuit and needs a minor works cert

Sponsored Links
Yes, but in the many misnomers of the electrical trade regulators "self-certify" really means "self-notify" for notifiable work.

All work should be "certified"; i.e. have a completed electrical certificate and absolutely anyone may (is allowed to) do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back