Spurs of a RCD spur socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i was wondering if someone could give me some advise please.

I have currently redecorating the house and want to add two sockets in the dining room.

At the moment i have one double socket which is a spur of the back of another double socket which is on the ring circuit in the bedroom next to the dining room. If i change this spur socket to a RCD one can i run two spurs of it?

Also, can i run a spur from the RCD into a junction box and then run two spurs of the junction box to double sockets. like star formation from jucntion box.

Sponsored Links
The first item from the ring should be something like this which will fuse down the supply to 13A and add a RCD using a back box like this you can put the first socket right next to it. There is then no limit to number of sockets which can come off the RCD FCU as long as the loop impedance and volt drop are within limits which is unlikely to be a problem in a house.

At the moment i have one double socket which is a spur of the back of another double socket which is on the ring circuit in the bedroom next to the dining room. If i change this spur socket to a RCD one can i run two spurs of it?
Not unless it is a fused RCD connection unit.
Also, can i run a spur from the RCD into a junction box and then run two spurs of the junction box to double sockets. like star formation from jucntion box.
Not advisable to that, but providing the junction box is not hidden under floorboards or ceiling voids, buried in to walls/ is easily accessible and the rating of the extended circuit is suitable for the rating of the junction box as is the cable it could be possible. But I would use the daisy chain method or inter-connected junctions rather than just one.

What I would do personally as it seems you are going to have some disruption would be to extend the ring final circuit.
The back to back sockets should make this easy to do.
But be aware if you have no existing RCD protection all addition sockets must be covered by RCDS. If you do have RCD protection already, no need to add another RCD to circuit.
So options are:
Extend the RFC but have RCD protection at the CU or fuseboard.
Make the spurred socket part of the RFC and connect a fused connection unit or a RCD protected fuse connection, then add addition sockets.
Make the existing spurred in to either a FCU or a RCD/FCU then addition sockets from there.
It would be wise to look at the information in Wiki.
Remember junctions and joints of cables should be rated correctly and not hidden, cables should be routed in prescribed safe zones and there are regulations concerning where joists can be holed.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:route
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

Sponsored Links
Thanks ericmark and prenticeboyofderry for your quick responses. I think i will replace the first spur socket with a fused socket and then daisy chain from that onwards. Having looked at the CU i have found it to be a MK RCD CU. Once again many thanks for your help.

Having looked at the CU i have found it to be a MK RCD CU. Once again many thanks for your help.
Check that the RCD does cover the socket circuit you are altering, sometimes they don't.
So press the test button on the RCD and see if the socket circuit de-energised. If it does, you will not need additional RCD protection on that circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back