Advice please - Use of junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting new kitchen units in and have a question over the set up of the electrics. I'm not changing electrics but have come across something and wanted to check it was all ok.

The house is only a few years old and have the set up in my kitchen for the cooker hood and downlights as described below.

It goes:

Consumer box > Grid Switch (on kitchen wall) > FCU > Socket for cooker hood > FCU > Down Lights.

However, the 2.5mm T&E going to the first FCU from the grid switch is joined together by a 30 amp junction box. Presumably its because the cable wasn't long enough to reach the FCU and the cable is behind tiles. Is the set up of having this junction box ok which is then followed by other FCU, sockets etc?

So the setup actually goes:

Consumer box > Grid Switch (on kitchen wall) > 30amp Junction Box > FCU > Socket for cooker hood > FCU > Down Lights.

Any comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
After taking a further look the wiring does go:

Consumer box > Grid Switch (on kitchen wall) > 30amp Junction Box > FCU > Socket for cooker hood > FCU > Down Lights.

The junction box is used as there is no slack in the cable. Would this pass the part P regulation with the above sequence using the junction box?

Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Where do the cables come from/go to?

You said
the cable is behind tiles
but then you say the JB is hanging from cables above some units.

Does the cable pop out of the wall, go to the JB, and then go back into the wall?

If you can lay the JB flat against the wall then you can fix it there...

A photo might be useful.

To be a bit clearer I mean the cable goes from the appliances grid switch on the wall behind the tiles on the wall behind the top cupboards and then come through the wall close to the top of the wall. It is there it is attached to a junction box and from the junction box to a fuse spur that sits on the top of the cupboards. The fuse spur then goes to a socket for cooker hood and down lights.

Why not install a flush box where the cable comes out of the wall and put the FCU there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back