adding DP 3 Amp Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am installing a cooker hood and the manufacturer requires to connect it fixed to a 3A DP Spur. My options for this are:

1. Connect it to Junction Box that has the In from the mains and Out to the cooker.

2. After this there are 2 JB around the boiler. One JB supplies to a ring of 5A fused spur, and two single sockets. Then a second JB getting the return from this ring towards the light.

Where can I connect my Spur?
What type of wire, 1.5 or 2.5mm?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1st option) You don't want to take a feed from cooker circuit, that is best left solely for cooking appliances, as this circuit could well have been loaded up to maximum.
2nd option) Hard to say by your explanation, what the true configuration of this circuit is and a little further investigation would be required with regards to load, spurs and discrimination of circuit
3rd option) Call a registered electrician to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations and several other building regulations as well as BS7671 (wiring regulations)

It's a kitchen and will require notification to building controls, which when DIYing, the fees can be quite tasty. You will need to have documentation of test results and either an electrical inspection certificate or a minor electrical works certificate issued. This will require professional and calibrated test equipment to be used.
No disrespect, but evidence shown in your post, would suggest that you unfortunately do not currently possesses the knowledge to complete this task safely and competently.
So options 3 sounds like the best one.

Sponsored Links
Of course it should be on the same circuit - it is part of the "cooking appliance".

BGI IMO to have 1 switch to hit and stop the hood drawing flames into it when the chip pan catches fire.

As for the loading - if he'd asked if he could swap his cooker for one which was 500W more powerful you'd say "No", would you?

2. After this there are 2 JB around the boiler. One JB supplies to a ring of 5A fused spur, and two single sockets. Then a second JB getting the return from this ring towards the light.

EH????????????

Personally I don't add things to the cooker circuit, but can see the merit in the earlier comments.

You can find a suitable point on the socket circuit.

You can even come from the lighting circuit above if it's easier.

Thanks all for your replies. Yes, I have no experience with electricity and I thought it could be a simple DIY job.

Can I function the hood as a plugged appliance to any of the existing sockets?

Any suggestions where to a find a certified electrician?

Thanks

Harvy

Thanks all for your replies. Yes, I have no experience with electricity and I thought it could be a simple DIY job.
Even the simplest of things are seldom simply, if no experience
Can I function the hood as a plugged appliance to any of the existing sockets?
That would depend on the hazard the flex may introduce to the location and whether external influences could also damage the flex.
Any suggestions where to a find a certified electrician?
Check the competent persons website for electrician. You can enter your location in and will come up with local electricians that are registered.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back