Appliance socket & grid switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have 2 spaces for appliances in my kitchen, one has the washing machine in and the other is the dishwasher. Everything is labelled up as such on the grid switch on the wall.

Had finished breakfast, put everything in the dishwasher and went outside to enjoy the sun . . . Came in to get a drink not 30 mins later to find no power to the dishwasher & it was off. Pulled it out, unplugged it, checked & changed the fuse before noticing that the dishwasher switch on the grid is stuck in the on position (cannot be pressed off)

Dishwasher has since done a full cycle plugged in elsewhere with no issue but grid switch remains on and no power under the cabinet.

Do I need to replace the grid? Could the dishwasher have caused it to go?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
... before noticing that the dishwasher switch on the grid is stuck in the on position (cannot be pressed off) ... dishwasher has since done a full cycle plugged in elsewhere with no issue but grid switch remains on and no power under the cabinet. ... Do I need to replace the grid?
Yes, it sounds as if the grid switch has expired. You can just replace the one grid switch module. Do you know what make of grid it is?

Could the dishwasher have caused it to go?
Incredibly unlikely.

Kind Regards, John

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, I don't know what brand it is - I've replaced all the other switches and sockets in this house & they were all Tenby, doubt this will be the same though.

Will take it off and see if there is any indication of brand,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi John, Thanks for your reply, I don't know what brand it is - I've replaced all the other switches and sockets in this house & they were all Tenby, doubt this will be the same though. Will take it off and see if there is any indication of brand,
Be aware that it's not necessarily as simple as just the brand. Some brands of grid modules (e.g. MK) have changed over the years. You may have to remove the offending switch and take it to an electrical wholesalers and see if they can 'match' it.

Kind Regards, John

As stated most grid switches rated at 20A so fault should blow fuse first so likely just the switch faulty.
Indeed - and since the appliance in question is still working fine (when powered from elsewhere), it's extremely unlikely that there is, or has been, any 'fault' that would either blow a fuse or damage a switch.

Kind Regards, John

Post a picture up here, someone will be able to identify it and probably provide a link to buy :)

If you can't get parts you may be able to nick the fridge one (and swap the label) and wire the fridge on permeantly
You get the idea.

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, I don't know what brand it is - I've replaced all the other switches and sockets in this house & they were all Tenby, doubt this will be the same though.

Will take it off and see if there is any indication of brand,

Thanks

The grid switches in the Tenby range were very different to the standard Tenby stuff. The Tenby grid switches had massive rocker switches.

I have experienced several Tenby grid switches packing up and doing strange things. Load of rubbish.

That said, regular Tenby accessories are very good.

Send a picture of the front, and we can probably identify it immediately.

(If it is Tenby grid, take my advice and change the whole lot.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back