Kitchen on it's own ring circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an end of terrace house, so I've got 4 circuits: lights upstairs, lights downstairs, sockets upstairs and sockets downstairs. The kitchen sockets (2) are in the same circuit as the downstairs sockets. There is also an independent circuit for the gas cooker/hob and 2 other sockets that run from this same circuit.
The question I have is:
Do I need to isolate the sockets in the kitchen and have them on it's own circuit? Or they are fine the way they are?
At the moment, the washing machine is plugged into the cooker circuit. The fridge and microwave is on the "downstairs circuit" and I'll have a dishwasher in the new kitchen. Is that too much for the circuit?
I am about to put a new floor down, so if any cable is needed this is the right time.
In terms of earth bonding, I was told that all that I need is a 10mm earth cable from the CU to underneath the sink. Is that correct?

I appreciate your support and advice.

Regards,
Lucci

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement for the kitchen socket outlets to be on a dedicated circuit, but it is now common practice due to the nature and large power demands of the type of appliances normally used in the kitchen.

The fact that your kitchen is spread across two circuits isn't such a bad thing, as this does at least mean that you wont have all your appliances on the downstairs ring final. I presume when you say 'independent cooker circuit', this is actually another ring or radial with the two sockets and the gas hob ignition wired into an FCU on the wall?

Re the earth cable, you must run a 10mm earth bond from not more than 600mm from the point of entry to your property of your gas and/or water supplies back to the main earth terminal at your CU. This does not necessarily mean under the sink.

If there is existing bonding to the aforementioned pipework then you are not obliged to upgrade it to existing standards if you're not carrying out any other electrical work. If there is no existing bonding then it would be wise to get it sorted ASAP.

I would advise the washing machine is not on the cooker circuit.
Of course I am assuming (so I might be wrong) that you are talking a standard cooker circuit with a cooker control unit that is not just a plain switch but also has a socket.
With a traditional cooker circuit it is intended to be for occasional use of a kettle (Kettles are not on for long periods).
Using a "heavy load" - heating load such as washer/dryer/dishwasher is best avoided really.
It use to e quite common to put the bedroom ring/radial because this was usually perceived as lighter loaded than the main rooms.
Often an only kitchen appliance circuit is used to reduce loads on other circuits.
If there is a very easy way to transfer the kitchen sockets from the downstairs circuit to the bedroom circuit then it might be an advantage.
Whichever way you choose to go on this one, dont panic - we do not tend to see piles of dead bodies in the street with your present set up.

Sponsored Links
15 year old post!!
Ebees at it again! :)

1673701303193.png

Last edited:
How come they are showing in order as if they are recent threads on my laptop? I honestly thought I was replying to recent threads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back