Size of Consumer Unit - too many circuits? Potential to reduce quantity?

Sponsored Links
When splitting socket circuits what you want is.
1) Lower loop impedance.
2) Reduced load on each circuit.
3) Ability under fault conditions to swap essential supply sockets.
So it would make sense to supply sockets from RCBO's as then any faulty item will not affect lights or any other circuits, and to split house side to side rather than up and down so in an emergency any extension lead is not going up or down stairs, and the loop impedance is lower as typically side to side needs less cable. It also means during both day and night loads are shared better.

Heating elements using mineral insulated elements like immersion heater and oven may suffer from earth leakage, but alarm panels etc are very unlikely to cause any RCD be it stand alone or combined as a RCBO to trip, so at first glance can all go on one RCD. However alarm panels, chair lifts, cordless phones and the like with rechargeable batteries tend to bleep with a power cut, so arranging for these to share circuits with fridge or freezer can serve as a warning when essential circuits have tripped.

It is rare for MCB's to trip, you are more worried about RCD's tripping, as stand alone best option is two RCD's for the whole house, only by using RCBO's can you increase the number, however a RCBO is expensive specially if looking at 14 of them. Some boards will take single unit width RCBO's with double pole switching, essential with TT supply, but still a better option with a TN supply.

So we split into circuits to reduce load and to reduce what is lost if a circuit trips, and to allow cable which is no oversize to be used. So you want.
1) Immersion heater if fitted.
2) Oven
3) Hob
4) Shower
5) Laundry room (This may be kitchen, but it's washing machine and tumble drier which is heavy load)
6) Lights
7) Sockets
The last two can be further split if you want side to side, but if RCBO used for lights (so unlikely to trip with rest of house) and sockets (so unlikely to trip rest of house) then rest could be supplied from standard twin RCD's, OK in your case you also want office from its own RCBO, but even splitting lights and non laundry room sockets into two circuits that's only 10 circuits.

Since with lights a general power cut will cause failure what ever you do, emergency lighting is better than splitting into two circuits, in my house top of stairs and garage, latter to see consumer unit, in mothers a socket above under stairs cupboard with a Lidi standby touch plugged in, it auto switches on as we open front door showing light switches, it auto switches on with power failure, and I can pick it up to inspect breakers etc when anything trips.

Clearly this all changes house to house, but should give you food for thought.

Running a boiler etc. from a circuit that can be easily switched to a local geneartor supply is (if one has a genny!) indeed useful, but it does not necessarily have to be a circuit dedicated only to the boiler. If other things on the circuit would represent too great a load for the genny, they can always be switched off, to allow the boiler etc. to function from the genny.

Sponsored Links
I imagine that Owain knew that. However, as he implied, that could represent anything from a trivial to a massive load - hence, I imagine, his question.

Kind Regards, John

Imagine that !

Hi

I will be procuring the services of a qualified Electrical Contractor, in the meantime would grateful for some preliminary advice re. draft list of circuits, i.e. strict requirement for dedicated circuits versus potential for number of circuits to be reduced. Am keen for Office to be fed via dedicated circuit as linked in my business. Many thanks.

1 - Downstairs Sockets
2 - Upstairs Sockets
3 - Kitchen Sockets
4 - Downstairs Lights
5 - Upstairs Lights
6 - Oven & separate Induction Hob
7- Bathroom UFH
8 - Boiler
9 - Megaflo/Immersion
10 - Office Sockets
11 - HVAC
12 - House Alarm
13 - Smoke Detectors
14 - Garden Sockets
You will be glad of spare ways, you never no what your plans around the corner might be. Better to have spare than not enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back