Max current on a two plug socket - appliances

It's not very different from the fact that we are allowed to put more than two-and-a-half 13A sockets on a 32A ring final, just another application of diversity.

Remember the heat rise test is performed with the socket-outlet, its back box, and the plugs embedded in a wooden block, so rather well thermally insulated.

Incidentally my 3kW dryer rarely shows more that 1 kW on my OWL monitor.

Sponsored Links
It's not very different from the fact that we are allowed to put more than two-and-a-half 13A sockets on a 32A ring final, just another application of diversity.
Some would, of course, say that ring finals should not be allowed, and that they wouldn't become allowed if someone had first come up with the idea in recent times! I do, however, think it's pretty different. The worst that can happen with a ring final is that a very high total load gets plugged into a number of sockets close to one end of the ring and the built-in safety margins are such that I very much doubt that any of the cable would, as a result, come to any harm before the OPD operated - particularly if, as is commonly the case, the tabulated CCC of the cable is 27A (not appreciably less than 32A). Anyway, again, diversity is fine if the worst that can go wrong (e.g. with cooking appliances) is 'nuisance' MCB trips, when the cable is adequately protected. It's not so fine if the worst that can go wrong is a safety (e.g. fire) issue.
Remember the heat rise test is performed with the socket-outlet, its back box, and the plugs embedded in a wooden block, so rather well thermally insulated.
I realise that and am going by all the reports I see/hear here and elsewhere about sockets/plugs that have suffered. Maybe it's much less common than the impression I've gained. I've never personally see it, but nor have I (often!) knowingly put a 'very high' load on a double socket for a long period of time!
Incidentally my 3kW dryer rarely shows more that 1 kW on my OWL monitor.
You surprise me - mine certainly isn't like that. Are you sure you haven't got the 'half-heat' button pressed? :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back