New kitchen appliances

Now I am sure I remember something about requiring a metre or so of cable between sockets if you want to get the benefit of the maximum current capacity. Each socket gets hot in use and this is why a double causes more of a problem. But you still have this problem with two singles, which like as not have exactly the same design of internal parts. The difference is that there is only half as much heating at the end where the cable is connected and the cable itself will dissipate this heat. But if you wire two of them right next to each other there is nowhere much for the heat to go.

Sponsored Links
However, the putting 2 singles in side by side, in the box as shown (really must learn to post pics...) even with the cheap singles, can be run much harder than a double socket, and the wiring will be fine, either if it is 4mm radial, or 2.5mm ring. The only time its not good is as a double spur from the ring.
Agree with BAS on the knockout though, a removable centre for those days when you have dura-plugged it (remember those?) would be really handy.
If you ring cable is really well insulated (20 A instead of 27A for 2.5mm in lagging rather than in free air) I can see that you might be thinking if this was right at one end of the ring, but I still think its better than a double, and unlikely to give real trouble, other than a shortening of the cable life by the duration of the overload multiplied by an aging factor.
To see what happens to the aging of normal (70 degree) PVC cable at elevated temperatures, see here.
http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/Commentary-UpdateApr04.pdf
The practical point is that if once a week, for a couple of hours, you take your cable to 90 degrees instead of 70, then those 2 hours count like 20 hours at 70 degrees.. so your cables age at 8 days a week instead of 7.
If the rest of the time it runs cool, then it will probably still outlive you, unless you are very young !
Anyway, if the cable is in oval conduit then when it needs re-doing in 2075, then your grandchildren can pull in a new cable behind the old one...
regards M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back