Extractor fan external grill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently took off the external grille for bathroom extractor fan to access the ducting which had ripped on a screw and needed cutting and reattaching. On putting the grill back on instead of the louvres facing away from the house i wasn't paying attention and put it on facing sideways to the house (see pic).
Is this likely to be an issue for the moisture hitting the wall and should I change it back?
Checked my ensuite & the builder has put that grill in same position ie sideways and after shower has been used the outside wall is wet (inline fan as opposed to an axial fan for bathroom). Kitchen & toilet external grills all face away from house. It would mean taking grills & ducting/cable ties off to turn it. Thanks.

1000004946.jpg

Attachments

• 20240111_084547.jpg
    20240111_084547.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
I think you answered your own question when looking at the en suite. Whether it is the end of the world is another question.

True, putting off a fiddly job. Is there an easy way to take off cable ties as they're holding the ducting onto the spigot of the grill?

Sponsored Links
Is the picture the one you fitted or the builder as it looks like someone has purposefully pointed it away from the soil stack.
I see a need for a rotatable outlet - square on the outside with a round rotatable section in the middle so in this case you could point it both away from the wall and the stack at an angle.

It's the one I put back together the wrong way. Currently up a ladder sorting them both

I would leave it like that.
Current it is not aiming directly at wall or at soil stack.

There is no right or wrong way with the vent mounted to a ceiling

If it was on the wall, that would be a different story

The soil vent is plastic so moist air not an issue, pointing away from the wall is the standard, one reason why the louvres are angled like that. Hence why the en-suite makes the wall damp, it really should be directed away from the wall

Thanks everyone. Changed them both to face away from house. Wasn't as painful as I thought!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back