Extractor Fan grille above shower tray. ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any reason that you can't place the grille for an extractor fan directly above the shower tray?

I'm replacing an extractor fan with an inline flow fan that will reside in the loft so there will be ducting going from the inline fan to a grille above the shower tray. The reason I ask is because the existing standard extractor fan isn't above the shower tray so wondered if there is some reason I'm overlooking why it wasn't placed above the shower tray?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If its just the extract grill then there's no electrical issues.

If the grill has a light in the middle, then there may be some electrical things to be aware of.

what is the height above floor level (be precise)?

Sponsored Links
There's no light. Just the grille (bit of mesh behind it) leading to the ducting in the loft which then connects to an inline extractor fan.
In that caser. there is clearly no electrical issue ....

.... The reason I ask is because the existing standard extractor fan isn't above the shower tray so wondered if there is some reason I'm overlooking why it wasn't placed above the shower tray?
The probable reason why the existing one is not above the shower tray is that there could, indeed, have been (regulatory) problems with having something 'electrical' less than 2.25m (above floor level) above the shower tray.

It's also perhaps worth noting that, depending upon where the source of incoming air is (commonly under the room's door), 'above the shower tray' might not necessarily be the best place for an extractor (of any sort).

Kind Regards, John

On a more serious note....

I'm replacing an extractor fan with an inline flow fan that will reside in the loft
Where are you taking the exhaust, and what are you doing about condensation in the duct?

On a more serious note....

Where are you taking the exhaust, and what are you doing about condensation in the duct?
The existing extractor already connects to an external grille in the soffit so I'll remove it and connect a new piece of 100mm ducting from the inline fan to the exiting external grille.

It's also perhaps worth noting that, depending upon where the source of incoming air is (commonly under the room's door), 'above the shower tray' might not necessarily be the best place for an extractor (of any sort).
Where can I get more information on how incoming air affects the location and performance of an extraction fan? It really is a very small room comprising a shower, sink and toilet so there's not a wide variety of potential locations with the light already in the middle and the roof joists running across the room.

Where can I get more information on how incoming air affects the location and performance of an extraction fan? It really is a very small room comprising a shower, sink and toilet so there's not a wide variety of potential locations with the light already in the middle and the roof joists running across the room.
I imagine that if you Google the question you'll find a fair bit of information.

As I understand it, the general principle is that it is best for the extraction/exhaust point to be as far as possible from the source of incoming ('replacement') air, most commonly under the door of the room.

If you think about it, if the extract point was a lot closer to the source of replacement air than that, then a substantial part of what the extractor would do would be to suck air into the room (e.g. from under the door) and then immediately 'extract it', leaving a substantial amount of the moist air in the room 'not dealt with'.

Kind Regards, John

Surely that should be tempered by extraction point wrt the source of moisture?

It must be non-contentious that if one's shower enclosure was "sealed" (not truly hermetically so, but with all the enclosure panels reaching the ceiling, and with a door that closes fully) then the best thing is to suck as much air as possible out of the enclosure before it ever gets into the rest of the room?

So by extension, even if there's a gap between the enclosure and the ceiling, the closer you can get the extraction point to the area where the humid air is generated, the less will enter the room?

Your general principle may well be valid if the humidity source is diffuse, but if it is concentrated then having the extraction point some distance away is only going to guarantee that humid air will be dragged some distance across the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back