Extractor Fan Positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering where I should locate the extractor fan before commissioning the new shower.

First thought would be to adapt the current airbrick hole??? Second would be through the gable end, trouble is that's the wall that gets any prevailing wind (gale!). Third option would be to go through the ceiling midway along the length of the bath and emerge through the soffit roughly level with the wall the door is on. That would put the exterior vent roughly half way between the bathroom opener and landing opener.

Thoughts please!

Sponsored Links
If one blows air out of the house then it has to be replaced and being replaced local to the fan would seem to make sense so I would not replace the air brick.

The combi boiler is shown not against an outside wall and so first question must be what flue type is the combi boiler. Where a open flue is used (i.e. any flue other than a balanced flue) then there are strict limits as to installing fans most fans normally used in bath rooms are too big and the only option is to use a heat recovery system as these blow air in and out at the same time so do not cause a depression in the room likely to draw flue gases into the room.

mechanical-heat-recovery-system.jpg

These are expensive and I also have an open flue on one fire so no extractors. I do have a tumble drier which blows air out which strictly is against the rules but am aware of the problem and it is not used at the same time as the fire.

I thought it may be an issue, hence I mentioned the combi location!!

Its an ex LA property, the (crappy!) boiler is a Veissman Vitodens 100. The flue goes straight through the roof is all I can say at the moment. As to whether its balanced or not.....

The Vitodens is a fine boiler. It is room sealed with a balanced flue and if yours goes through the roof then it has no bearing on the bathroom extractor.

The extractor should be more or less opposite the door because the repacement dry air will be sucked in through the gap under the door. The air brick position will be OK. It should not be directly above a fixed bath or shower because the electrical safety regulations are then more stringent and expensive to meet.

However if you have a ducted extractor and the fan is not in the bathroom, a grille above the shower is fine.

If the extractor is too close to the inlet, it will tend to suck the fresh air straight out instead of venting the hot moist air from the room.

Sponsored Links
The Vitodens is a fine boiler. It is room sealed with a balanced flue and if yours goes through the roof then it has no bearing on the bathroom extractor.

When I say crappy, was really the LA contract service engineers!! We had never ending issues with fault F5, the sticky flap. Then last May a young SE came and spent an hour on it. "I've greased n cleaned the flap." Not had an F5 since. We get F4's but the condensate pipe slopes up, well, unless I cut it off! Must sort that out!!

The extractor should be more or less opposite the door because the replacement dry air will be sucked in through the gap under the door. The air brick position will be OK.

Which would be good news as the easiest option to deal with!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back